theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh GREGORY Ernie CHAPMAN Eddie MOORE Billy BIGDEN FRONT Blue League Cup Trophy

The Letter "L" ...

In 1933, there was a 3-0 defeat in the final against Queens Park Rangers but two more wins followed in beating Crystal Palace 3-2 in 1946 and Chelsea 2-1 in 1949.


In 1952, goals from Malcolm Allison and Jimmy Barrett saw the Hammers triumph for a sixth time by beating Brentford 2-1 at Stamford Bridge.


West Ham were denied by Arsenal following a replace in 1954 and would go on to reach the final on five further occasions, winning twice and losing three times.


Arsenal and Tottenham proved too strong in 1958, when two finals were held, but the Hammers overcame Millwall in 1957, Dagenham in 1967 and Tottenham in 1968 to take their final haul of London Challenge Cups to nine.


The final game that West Ham played in the competition was a 2-1 second round defeat against Arsenal in October 1973.


The competition was rekindled in 1990, only to be discontinued again in 2000.


Despite two final and seven semi-final appearances, the Hammers have never won the League Cup. West Ham entered the competition in its inaugural season in 1960-61, when they entertained Charlton Athletic at the Boleyn Ground.

60_09_26 WHU v. Charlton Athletic FLC1 DICK John

The Hammers won 3-1, with John Dick going into the record books as being the Club’s first League Cup scorer. The team that played that night was: Rhodes, Bond, Lyall, Malcolm, Brown, Moore, Woodley, Cartwright, Dunmore, Dick, Musgrove. In the passage of time sadly seven of that side have died, including all three goalscorers.


In the second round. West Ham were humbled by Darlington as the Fourth Division side won 3-2 at their Feethams ground.


Over the years there have been further cup shocks at Stockport County, Crewe Alexandra, Aldershot, Northampton Town and Chesterfield.

John Dick West Ham's first League Cup goalscorer


On the flip side, the Hammers have reached the final twice. The first took place in 1966 and was played over two legs.


In the home tie against West Bromwich Albion, goals from Johnny Byrne and Bobby Moore gave the Hammers a 2-1 advantage. The second leg saw West Ham brushed aside as the Baggies romped home by winning 4-1 and 5-3 on aggregate.


The Hammers' second final appearance was played at Wembley Stadium against Liverpool in 1981. The Reds took the lead in extra-time but John Lyall's men equalised with a last-gasp penalty taken by Ray Stewart.


The replay took place at Villa Park and this time West Ham went ahead with a goal from Paul Goddard. However, Liverpool fought back to win the cup with a 2-1 victory.

81_03_14 Liverpool v. WHU LC Final

The London League was the brainchild of Thames Ironworks FC founder Arnold Hills and club secretary Frances Payne and was introduced in 1896.

There have been other memorable highlights to saviour. In 1966, Cardiff City were beaten in the semi-final with an aggregate score of 10-3. The mighty Leeds United were crushed 7-0 here in November of the same year, with Geoff Hurst and Johnny Sissons both bagging hat-tricks.


In October 1983, Tony Cottee scored four times in a record 10-0 second round second-leg victory over Bury.

In more recent years, Carlton Cole and Jonathan Spector both scored twice in a 4-0 thrashing of Manchester United in November 2010.

81_04_01 Liverpool v. WHU FLC Final Replay Arnold Hills

Arnold Hills

1897-98 London League

West Ham’s first game in 1901 was against rivals Millwall at the Memorial Grounds. The 3,000 crowd went home happy as the Hammers won 4-0 with a hat trick scored by Billy Grassam and the fourth by George Ratcliffe


The other teams in the league that season were Tottenham, Queens Park Rangers and Woolwich Arsenal. The Hammers won five of their matches to finish as champions.



The following season, 1902-03, started badly with a 3-1 home defeat to Woolwich Arsenal. The side picked up as the season progressed as they did the double over both Brentford and Queens Park Rangers. Again, the Hammers won five games but this time finished as runners-up to Tottenham.


The final season in the London League, 1903-04, was a disaster for the Hammers. After starting off poorly with a 4-1 defeat at Woolwich Arsenal they only won two matches and finished bottom.


West Ham won the Premier Division title again in 1908-09 before the London League became the preserve of smaller local clubs. It ceased to exist in 1964.

The competition fluctuated in popularity, with most clubs using it to field reserve teams. Thames Ironworks won the London League Division One title in 1897-98.


Under the banner of West Ham United the team played in the London League Premier Division for three seasons from 1901 until 1904.


London League Premier Division

Winners Medal


Paynter was then appointed trainer to the reserve side and it was in 1912 that he was promoted to be trainer to the first team. He was also honoured in 1924 when he was invited to train the England team before their Wembley encounter with Scotland.


He became West Ham’s manager in 1931 and was in charge when the Hammers won the Football League War Cup in 1940. Paynter finally retired in 1950 after 50 years of service and was the recipient of a Testimonial match against Arsenal.




In the same era, Billy Moore arrived at West Ham in 1922 and the inside forward was in the team that lost to Bolton Wanderers in the first FA Cup final at Wembley in 1923. After making 202 appearances for the club, he retired as a player in 1929 and became a member of the training staff.


After becoming the chief trainer, Moore remained in that capacity until 1960, when he retired after 38 years.




Goalkeeper Ernie Gregory joined the ground staff at the Boleyn Ground in 1936 and, after establishing himself in the first team, he went on to make 406 appearances before his playing career ended in 1960.


Gregory later coached both the reserves and the first team until his retirement in 1987 after 51 years of service.




Eddie Chapman joined the ground staff in 1937 and, due to the Second World War, had to wait until 1948 before he made a scoring league debut against Coventry City.


A persistent back injury forced Chapman to retire after only seven league appearances in 1949. He later became club secretary and chief executive. In 1974 he was awarded the Football League Long Service award.  


He retired in 1986 after being at West Ham for 49 years.




John Lyall came to West Ham in 1955 and, after playing in the 1957 FA Youth Cup final, he made his league debut in 1960 against Chelsea.


Lyall’s playing career was also cut short due to injuries and he retired in 1963, after which he joined the club’s office staff. He later took up coaching and, after assisting Ron Greenwood, he became the team manager in 1974.


As manager he led West Ham when they won the FA Cup in 1975 and 1980 and was in charge when they won the Division Two title in 1981 and finished third in Division One five years later.


Following the club’s relegation in 1989, John departed after 34 years of service.



Edinburgh-born goalkeeper Lawrie Leslie began his career in 1956 playing for Hibernian, appearing for them in the Scottish Cup final against Clyde in 1958.


Leslie joined Airdrie in 1959 and, while there, he represented Scotland on five occasions. In 1961, West Ham manager Ron Greenwood signed him for a fee of £14,000.


Leslie's courageous goalkeeping made him a crowd favourite at the Boleyn Ground and he was named as Hammer of the Year at the end of his first season in east London in 1962.


Many were disappointed when he decided to leave for Stoke City in 1963 after 61 appearances.


The Scot was at the Victoria Ground for three seasons until 1966, when he came back to London to join Millwall.


He played in 67 league games for the Lions before being transferred to Southend United, where he ended his playing career in 1969.


He later returned to football with Millwall as coach and also has been involved in schools football.


A number of officials and players have given a long and loyal service to West Ham United. Charlie Paynter joined West Ham in 1900. Playing in a reserve game in 1902 against Woolwich Arsenal, he sustained a knee injury which ended his playing career.

West Ham competed in the London Challenge Cup from 1908 until 1973. It was considered as a first-team competition until around 1960, after which mainly reserve players were used.


The Hammers’ first tie took place in October 1908 when Danny Shea scored twice against Dulwich Hamlet in a 3-3 draw before winning the replay 5-0.


In 1912, West Ham reached the final where they drew 0-0 with Crystal Palace. In the replay at White Hart Lane the Hammers were beaten 1-0.

PAYNTER Charlie LYALL John 1912 West Ham United London Challenge Cup Final

West Ham United line-up at White Hart Lane

The Letter "M" The Letter "K" Team Group LCC Winners

The Hammers won the cup in both 1925 and 1926, beating Clapton Orient and Arsenal 2-1 in the respective finals. As well as their fellow London professional sides, West Ham met the likes of Tufnell Park, Nunhead, Kingstonian and Thames Association.


A third trophy arrived at neutral Highbury in 1930 when goals from Tommy Yews and Stan Earle gave West Ham a 2-1 victory over Brentford.