theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh

The Letter "J" ...

Len Jarvis was spotted playing in local Essex soccer and was brought to the Memorial Grounds in 1903.  Taking up the half back position he was popular with the supporters with his wholehearted approach.  


In the home game with Millwall in September 1906 there was heated exchanges. In a clash with Dean of Millwall, Jarvis threw him against the advertising board beside the pitch. Dean was carried off and took no further part in the match which West Ham won 1-0. An FA enquiry on the match was carried out and Jarvis was suspended for 14 days.


Len became a fixture in the side and in his six seasons with the club he made a total of 140 appearances before he joined Bury in 1908. He played for the Lancashire club for 3 seasons making 55 league appearances after retiring in 1912 after a disastrous campaign which saw Bury relegated.



West Ham arranged games with Fulham the first being at Upton Park on the 20 August 1938.  


The Hammers won 4-2 with two goals from John Morton, and one each from Archie Macaulay and Len Goulden.  


The West Ham line up was Conway, Bicknell, C Walker, Fenton, R Walker, Cockroft, Foxall, Morton, Macaulay, Goulden, Wood.  Proceeds from that match paid to the fund amounted to £500.


The following season on the 19th August 1939 the teams met again at Upton Park. An exciting game ended all square at 3-3 with the goals being scored by Macaulay, Wood and an own goal.  


As part of the fund arrangements the reserves met Fulham on the same day at Craven Cottage where they were beaten 4-2.


Now a registered charity, the Football Association Benevolent Fund now exists to support people who have been involved in Association Football in any capacity, such as players and referees, and their dependants, who are in need.


Back in 1938 the Football League Benevolent Fund was launched, mainly to benefit players who had fallen into distress. As part of the scheme local derby games were authorised to be played as pre-season matches on the first Saturday preceding the start of the 1938-39 and 1939-30 seasons.


West Ham kicked off their Intertoto campaign against the Finnish side FC Jokerit on the 17 July 1999. It was still the close-season and the game only attracted an attendance of 11,908 to the Boleyn Ground. On 18 minutes a cross from Di Canio was headed home by Paul Kitson to give the Hammers the lead. Trevor Sinclair later hit a post as the players wilted in the 80 degree heat. All eyes had been on 17-year-old Joe Cole, who had made his first-team debut in January of the same year and led the Hammers to FA Youth Cup glory just two months previously.


The third-round first leg tie ended 1-0, with the Hammers looking forward to the return leg at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki.


Around 500 West Ham fans made the trip among the 5,000 spectators in the ground as the teams kicked-off. There was a shock for the Hammers contingent on 33 minutes when midfielder Koskela levelled the aggregate score. The scorer's joy was short-lived, however, as he was promptly sent-off after fouling Di Canio.


On 71 minutes, Frank Lampard scored the winner from a free- kick sending the Hammers through to a clash with Heerenveen in the fourth round.   Making his sole appearance for the club in that game was full back Rob Jones who had been signed on a free transfer from Liverpool. Jones was substituted at half-time after aggravating the knee injury that would lead to his retirement at the age of 27.



A capable defender he was born in the small mining village of Penrhiwceiber in Rhonda, Wales. He started his football career with Aberdare Athletic in 1898 playing in the Welsh League. In 1901 he was selected for Wales and played in internationals against Scotland and England. That same year he was transferred to Kettering who played in the Southern League. Jones never settled at Kettering and after 9 appearances for them he joined West Ham in 1901 where he made his debut in December in a 2-1 home win against Swindon Town.


He became a regular in the side and his good form saw him gain further international caps in March 1902 when again he played against England and Scotland. Bill therefore has the honour of being the first West Ham player to be capped by his country. After 15 games for the Hammers he returned to Wales to play for Aberamen where he helped them reach the final of the Welsh Cup.


In 1904 he left to join Rogerstone in the South Wales League where he played for two seasons before retiring.  In World War 1 Bill was a member of the Royal Welch Fusiliers.  In May 1918 he was killed in action in Macedonia and was buried in the Doiran military cemetery in the north of Greece.


The Kirin Cup is a tournament organised by the Kirin brewery in Japan. It was founded in 1978 with the entries coming from both club and international sides.

West Ham competed in the tournament in May and June 1985, playing matches in five different Japanese cities and finishing third behind winners Santos of Brazil and the Uruguayan national team.


The Hammers' tournament kicked-off against Santos in Shimizu on 26 May 1985, with Paul Goddard scoring in a 2-1 defeat.

Next up carne the Japanese national team, who were held to a 2-2 draw in Okayama two days later thanks to goals from Steve Potts and Dave Swindlehurst.


A first and ultimately only win of the competition arrived in Tokyo on 30 May, when four goals from Swindlehurst, an own-goal from Ravindan and one each from Tony Cottee, Alvin Martin, Steve Whitton and Geoff Pike scored a 9-2 victory over the Malaysian Tigers.


Next up came a goalless draw with Japanese club side Yomiuri in Sapporo on 2 June before West Ham closed out the tournament by drawing 1-1 with Uruguay in Nagoya on 4 June. There, Swindlehurst completed his fine personal tournament by scoring his sixth goal. Santos defeated Uruguay 4-2 in the final at the National Stadium in Tokyo.



The Letter "K" The Letter "I" WHU v. Fulham Jubilee Benevolent Fund 01

Luis Jimenez became just the second Chilean to play for West Ham United when he joined the Club on a season-long loan from Italian side Internazionale in June 2009. A talented and elusive attacking midfielder, Jimenez started his career in his homeland with Palestine before moving to Italian football with Ternana in 2002.


Loan spells with Fiorentina and Lazio followed before the Santiago-born player saw half of his ownership rights bought by Internazionale.


Jimenez made his full debut for West Ham in their 2-0 Premier League win at Wolves on 15 August 2009, but unfortunately his Hammers career did not really take off. 'Jimmy', as he was christened by his team-mates, scored just once in 13 appearances for the Club, netting the fifth in a 5-3 home Premier League victory on 28 November 2009.


In January 2010, the loan spell was terminated and he returned to Italy. After spells with Parma and Cesena, Jimenez moved to Al-Ahli Dubai in the UAE Arabian Gulf League in 2011. He has become a big success in the Middle East, scoring 26 goals in 44 league appearances. At international level, he was capped 26 times by Chile between 2005 and 2011, scoring twice.


99_07_17 WHU v. FC Jokerit Intertoto 99_07_24 FC Jokerit v. WHU Intertoto 01 JONES William Kirin Cup tournament programme JARVIS Len JIMENEZ Luis


The Club will forever owe a debt of gratitude to William Joyce. The Scottish forward's hat-trick in his final game ensured the Hammers would start life as West Ham United in Southern League Division One.


Having finished 14th in Division One in 1899-00. Thames Ironworks faced a Test Match against Division Two side Fulham to decided which level each would play at in the following season.

Essentially a promotion-relegation play-off, the game was played at White Hart Lane on 30 April 1900. There, a crowd of just 600 turned out to watch a game that arguably shaped Hammers history.


It should perhaps come as no surprise that Joyce found his shooting boots at the home of Tottenham Hotspur, seeing as he had scored 26 goals in 38 games for the north London side prior to moving to east London in 1899.


Born in the small town of Prestonpans east of Edinburgh, Joyce also scored seven goals in as many FA Cup ties in 1899-00 as the non-league Thames Ironworks reached the fifth qualifying round. Following his relegation-saving hat-trick, Joyce moved to Southern League Division One rivals Portsmouth in the summer 1900, while the Ironworks club was disbanded and reformed as West Ham United.

William Joyce