theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh

The Letter "I" ...

Herita was born in February 1982 in Kinshasa, Zaire. His early career was spent as a youth player with the French side Rennes in 1999 where he settled into football playing as a left back.


In 2002 aged 20 he moved to Spain to play for the Espanyol 'B' team in the Spanish Third Division.  He returned to France in 2003 and spent four seasons playing for St Etienne where he made 136 appearances scoring two goals.  


The summer of 2007 saw Herita move to Toulouse where he played in the Champions League. In September 2008 he joined West Ham and made his Premier League debut at West Bromwich Albion. He soon established himself in the side and scored two goals for the Hammers in FA Cup ties against Barnsley and Middlesborough.


Injuries cut short his career at West Ham and after three seasons at the Boleyn having played in 73 games he joined Doncaster Rovers in January 2012.  He played 19 times for the Yorkshire club before being released in May 2012 following the clubs relegation.


He then returned to France to play for his first club Rennes. At international level since 2004 Herita has played 32 times for his country D. R. Congo with 5 of those international appearances coming whilst with the Hammers.


In the late forties and early fifties there was an influx of players who came to West Ham from the Republic of Ireland. They were all good players and not only did they become regulars in the West Ham team but they also represented their country.

Tommy Moroney

He came from Cork United in 1947.  A wing half who made 151 appearances scoring 8 goals.  International honours came his way when he was capped on 12 occasions.  Tommy went back to Ireland in 1953 to play for Evergreen United and later became manager of Cork Hibs. He passed away in 1981.




Danny McGowan

Danny was signed from Shelbourne in 1948. He completed six seasons at Upton Park playing at wing half where he scored 9 goals in his 83 appearances. In 1949 he played 3 times for his country against Portugal, Sweden and Spain. In 1954 he went into non-league football at Chelmsford City and later at Folkestone. After a long illness Danny died in 1994 and was buried in Canning Town.




Frank O’Farrell

Frank joined West Ham in 1947 having signed from Cork United. After playing in around 50 reserve games he eventually established himself in the side and went on to play in a total of 210 games scoring 7 goals. In that time he made 7 appearances for the Republic of Ireland. In 1956 he left to join Preston North End in an exchange deal with Eddie Lewis.  After 118 games for the Lancashire club he retired as a player and went into management with Weymouth in 1961. He later managed Torquay United, Leicester City, Manchester United, and Cardiff City. In 1974 he took over as manager of the Iran national side after which he returned to England spending two further spells managing Torquay.  Frank still lives in the Devon town and now aged 88 he is the oldest living West Ham player.




Noel Cantwell

Full back Noel was another who came from Cork United when he joined West Ham in 1952. He spent 9 seasons with the Hammers and was the club captain when they won the Second Division Championship in 1958. In his time at Upton Park he represented his country on 17 occasions. After playing in 263 games, scoring 11 goals he left in 1960 to join Manchester United. He sent 7 seasons with the Reds and led them to victory in the 1963 FA Cup Final. He later went into management at Coventry City and Peterborough United. Noel died in September 2005.




Fred Kearns

He was signed from Shamrock Rovers in 1949 as a full back but was later switched to centre forward. He gained his sole international cap against Luxembourg in 1954.

Before leaving for Norwich City in 1954 he made 45 appearances for West Ham where he scored 15 goals.  Fred died in January 1987.



In the pre-season of 1970 the Israeli international captain Mordechai Spiegler spent a few weeks on trial at West Ham. The 26 year old striker played in three pre-season games at Portsmouth, Bristol City and Orient. The West Ham manager Ron Greenwood was keen to sign him but unfortunately there were difficulties in gaining a work permit so Mordechai returned to Israel.  

SPIEGLER Mordechai

A year later Spiegler  returned to Upton Park to play in a select European XI in a testimonial for Geoff Hurst.


In 1973 West Ham played the Israel National side on two occasions.  


The first of these took place at Upton Park in April when the Israeli team were the opponents in a testimonial game for Paul Heffer.  The young centre half had his career cut short due to injury after making 17 first team appearances. The Israeli team were leading 2-0 after 15 minutes but the Hammers rallied to win 3-2 with goals from Kevin Lock, Bertie Lutton and Bryan Robson.  


In May West Ham travelled to Tel Aviv to play them again in a friendly. It was another close game which ended 2-2 the goals being scored by Bryan Robson and Clyde Best.

73_04_04 WHU v. Israel National XI Heffer Test


Thames Ironworks played their first league game on 19th September 1896 in the London League home to Vampires at their Hermit Road ground.

Outside left George Gresham had the honour of scoring the first ever league goal in the 3-0 victory. The other two goals being scored by Edward Hatton. A crowd of 1,260 saw the following Thames Ironworks team appear:  Barnes, Stevenson, Hurst, Morton, Dandridge, Davie, Dove, Rossiter, Hatton, Morrison, Gresham. The Ironworks finished their inaugural season as runners up in the league to the 3rd Grenadier Guards.



The Intertoto Cup competition was founded in 1961 and later disbanded in 2008. West Ham entered at the third round stage in July 1999 where they were paired with the Finnish team Jokerit.


The home leg saw the Hammers win 1-0 courtesy of a goal from Paul Kitson. West Ham travelled to Helsinki for the second leg which was played in the Olympic Stadium. Jokerit took the lead but Frank Lampard was on hand to score from a free kick to put the Hammers through to the semi-final where they would meet the Dutch side Heerenveen.


The home leg saw West Ham strike the woodwork three times but a lone goal from Frank Lampard gave the Hammers a 1-0 victory. In the return fixture in Holland there was another close game with Paolo Wanchope scoring in a 1-0 win.


The Final against the French team FC Metz there was disappointment as the Hammers lost the home leg 1-0 after Frank Lampard had missed a penalty. It was a great night in Metz as roared on by around 2,000 fans the Hammers put on a magnificent display in winning 3-1 to claim the trophy. The happy goal scorers were Trevor Sinclair, Frank Lampard and Paolo Wanchope.  

Intertoto Cup


The first West Ham player to be capped for their country was centre half Bill Jones. He represented Wales in games against England and Scotland in 1902.


The most capped players while being at West Ham United for the home countries are as follows:


ILUNGA Herita 441 MOORE Bobby - England 539 STEWART Ray - Scotland 595 DOWIE Iain - N Ireland 411 CANTWELL Noel Eire 2 754 COLLINS James Wales


Bobby Moore

108 caps


Ray Stewart

10 caps

Northern Ireland

Iain Dowie

15 caps


James Collins

32 caps

Republic of Ireland

Noel Cantwell

17 caps

The Letter "J" The Letter "H"