theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh Boleyn Ground 1905

The Letter "E" ...

Before West Ham moved to Upton Park in 1904 they played at three other grounds.


The Letter "F" The Letter "D"


We first met Everton in a league game at the Boleyn Ground in March 1923 when goals from John Campbell and William Edwards gave the Hammers a 2-1 victory.


It was however back in February 1907 when the two teams met at Upton Park for the first time in the FA Cup. The Hammers were in the Southern League at the time and the visit of First Division Everton drew a crowd of 14,000 who saw West Ham beaten 2-1. It was a fine effort by the Southern League team as Everton went on to reach the Cup Final. The Hammers winger Arthur Winterhalder played so well that Everton signed him at the end of the season  


The two clubs have met twice in FA Cup semi–finals. The first in 1933 was played at Molineux where two legendary centre forwards opposed each other. The Blues had Dixie Dean where as we fielded our top scorer Vic Watson. Watson did in fact score but goals from Critchley and Dunn gave Everton a 2-1 win and they went on to win the Cup beating Manchester City in the Final.

The next semi-final took place at Villa Park in 1980 when the teams drew 1-1. The replay took place at Elland Road and in a pulsating game it was West Ham who were victorious winning 2-1 after extra time. Full back Frank Lampard headed the winner and promptly danced around the corner flag to the delight of the Hammers contingent.  


Notable players who took part over the years were Ernie Gregory, John Bond, Noel Cantwell, Malcolm Allison, Harry Hooper, Terry Woodgate, Gerry Gazzard, Ken Brown and Geoff Hurst whose sole appearance was in the final in 1959.


After winning the FA Cup in 1964 West Ham entered into European competition for the first time.  The early rounds were unspectacular as the Belgium part timers La Gantoise were beaten 2-1 on aggregate followed by narrow victories over Sparta Prague and Lausanne. In the semi-final Zaragoza were beaten 2-1 in the first leg at Upton Park.  

In the second leg the Spaniards got an early goal to level the tie. In a nail biting second period both Bobby Moore and Jim Standen were magnificent as they faced an onslaught. The day however belonged to young Johnny Sissons who scored an equaliser which put the Hammers through to the final at Wembley.

Their opponents were the fine German side TSV Munich The sides thrilled everyone with a match full of footballs finer arts and was packed with excitement.

Hero of the night was Alan Sealey who popped up with two second half goals which ensured a 2-0 Hammers victory.

The game was ranked as the finest of all Wembley finals and was a tremendous advert for football as it should be played.  


The following season West Ham began the defence of their trophy by beating Olympiakos on aggregate followed by a defeat of Magdeburg.

In the semi-final they found Borussia Dortmund formidable opponents and were beaten in both legs. The German side went on to win the trophy.


Ten years later in 1976 despite poor displays in the league West Ham produced some inspired performances in Europe. In the early rounds both Lahden Reipas and Ararat Erevan were knocked out but Den Haag in the Quarter-final proved to be tough opponents.  

In Holland the Hammers were losing 4-0 but Billy Jennings scored twice to keep West Ham in the tie. Back at Upton Park for the second leg West Ham won 3-1 and went through on the away goals rule.


The semi-final paired the Hammers with Eintracht Frankfurt which brought a 2-1 defeat in Germany. The home leg proved to be an amazing night as the Hammers won 3-1 with goals from Keith Robson and two from Trevor Brooking.


The final against Anderlecht was played in Brussels and despite West Ham taking the lead they were beaten 4-2 by a talented Belgium side.  


The final European campaign in 1980 saw West Ham having to play the second leg against Castilla behind closed doors due to crowd trouble in the first leg. A hat trick from David Cross helped the Hammers to a 6-4 aggregate win.

The Romanian team Politechnic Timisoara were defeated 4-1 over two legs which set up a meeting with Dynamo Tbilisi. At Upton Park the Hammers were well beaten 4-1 by an excellent side and they then gained some consolation by winning the second leg 1-0 in Russia.


The first West Ham player to gain an England cap was centre forward George Webb who represented his country against Wales in 1911. Since then a further 37 players have been capped while at West Ham.


The first Hammer to score for England was Vic Watson when he netted against Wales in Cardiff in 1923.  The first goalkeeper to play was the great Ted Hufton who gained six caps between 1923 and 1929.  

Centre half Jim Barrett playing against Ireland in 1929 was carried off injured after 4 minutes. This remains the shortest England international career


Bobby Moore became the first West Ham player to captain England and was joined in the team that won the World Cup in 1966 by fellow Hammers Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters.


The first Hammer to score a hat trick for England was Johnny Byrne who performed this feat in Lisbon against Portugal in 1964.


West Ham pride themselves on developing players from their youth academy so they gained satisfaction when youngsters Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard jnr, Michael Carrick and Joe Cole all progressed to the full England squad.


The last West Ham player to gain a cap was Andy Carroll after he came on as a substitute against San Marino in October 2012.


Everton_FC_logo.svg Gerrard Di Canio

In December 2001 the Hammers were playing at Goodison Park when home keeper Gerrard lay injured. A cross by Sinclair came into the box and Paolo Di Canio instead of trying to score caught the ball as he pointed to the injured keeper.

This act of sportsmanship resulted in Paolo being given a FIFA Fair Play award. When the two teams met again later in the season the Everton goalkeeper Gerrard presented Di Canio with a photographic memento of the occasion.


There have been many players that have played for both clubs with possibly the favourite with both sets of fans being goalscorer Tony Cottee. With West Ham he scored league hat tricks against Queens Park Rangers, Coventry City and Manchester City. While at Everton he scored a hat trick on his debut against Newcastle United in 1988 and another against Tottenham Hotspur in 1991.

Gerrard presented Di Canio with a framed photograph to say thank you for his unselfish act

This competition was introduced in 1949 and was played each season up until 1976 with the last winners being Tilbury who beat Southend in the final.


West Ham United entered on 9 occasions and always fielded their first team. The Hammers reached five finals winning the cup twice and sharing it once.

1951   Southend  United 2-0 (Moroney, Robinson)

Upton Park 7th May

Taylor, Devlin, Forde, Moroney, Allison, O'Farrell, Hooper, Barrett, Robinson, Gazzard, Woodgate





1952   Colchester United 1-3

1955   Southend  United 3-3

1958   Chelmsford City 1-5

1959   Leyton Orient 4-1

Essex Pro Cup Final 1951 64_09_23 La Gantoise v. WHU ECWC 65_05_19 WHU v. TSV Munchen 1860 Final 75_10_01 WHU v. Reipas Lahden 76_05_05 Anderlecht v. WHU ECWC Final England

Hermit Road (1895-1896)

This was the first ground for Thames Ironworks and was situated in Canning Town. The ground was surrounded by a moat and had canvas sheeting for fencing


Browning Road (1896-1897)

This ground in East Ham was described as a wilderness


Memorial Ground (1897-2004)

This ground in West Ham was built at a cost of £20,000. They had facilities for cycling, athletics, tennis and football. There were two pavilions which held 2,200 spectators.