theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh KELLY Paul to Steve BISHOP Ian to Steve MIKLOSKO Ludek BLUE MIKLOSKO Ludek BLUE

Lou Macari 1989 - 1990 ...

Player Pen Pictures and Autographs

587. Martin Allen to 595. Ludek Miklosko

587. Martin ALLEN ... (1989 - 1996)

Born: 18 August 1965, Reading, Berkshire


Date: 24 August 1989

Fee: £660,000


Upton Park : 26 August 1989

Transferred: PORTSMOUTH

Date: January 1996

Fee: £500,000

Appearances: 163/27 (gls 26) Cup: 39/3 (gls 8)

A £660,000 signing from Queens Park Rangers on the 24th August 1989, Martin scored on his Hammers debut against Plymouth Argyle two days later at Upton Park in a Second Division clash. Captained the England Schoolboy team in 1980, also played in the West Ham junior team before signing for Queens Park Rangers on schoolboy forms the same year. After serving The Hoops for six years and winning a League Cup runners-up medal in 1986 he made the headlines when he refused to play when his wife was giving berth and was fined heavily by boss Trevor Francis. Martin became a firm favourite with the fans who dubbed him "Mad Dog". The 1991-92 campaign was a frustrating one for the midfield player. Ankle ligament damage, sustained against Aston Villa in only the fourth league game, sidelined him until December, but after just three more games, he suffered another setback - an Achilles injury that ruled him out for another two months. The following season proved to be an frustrating one as he became the first player to top 41 disciplinary points, a £1,000 fine and three match ban followed. Martin wanted to get away from Upton Park after the untimely death of his father and biggest fan, went on loan to Portsmouth on 9 September 1995 which was made permanent on 22 January 1996 for a £500,000 fee which represented a howling good return on a 30-year-old midfielder whose first team opportunities were diminishing. After three years at Pompey, which took in a brief loan stint at Southend United. After retiring he began a coaching career that took in Barnet (three spells), Brentford, Milton Keynes Dons, Leicester City, Cheltenham Town, Notts County and Gillingham.

Born: 16 July 1964, Chislehurst, Kent


Date: 21 September 1989

Fee: £750,000


Upton Park : 23 September 1989

Transferred: WATFORD

Date: March 1994

Fee: £80,000

Appearances: 87/5 (gls 4) Cup: 16/2 (gls 2)

Born: 19 February 1961, Hackney, London


Date: 20 November 1989

Fee: Loan


Upton Park : 22 November 1989

Return Loan: 31 December 1989

Appearances: 1/1 (gls 0) Cup: 0/1 (gls (0)

Died: 2 May 1998, Shoreditch, London (aged 37)

Born: 12 October 1965, Leyton, London


Date: December 1989

Fee: Loan


Upton Park : 16 December 1989

Transferred: January1990 Return loan

Appearances: 6

Born: 29 May 1965, Liverpool


Date: 28 December 1989

Fee: Part ex Mark Ward


City Stadium : 30 December 1989


Date: 26 March 1998

Fee: Free

Appearances: 243/14 (gls 12) Cup: 46/3 (gls 4)

Born: 20 March 1961, Nottingham


Date: 28 December 1989

Fee: Part Ex Mark Ward


City Stadium : 30 December 1989

Transferred: READING

Date: August 1995

Fee: Free

Appearances: 159/19 (gls 57) Cup: 29/7 (gls 13)

Born: 18 November 1959, Belfast, Northern Ireland


Date: 30 December 1989

Fee: £320,000


Upton Park : 1 January 1990


Appearances: 34/13 (gls 19) Cup: 8/2 (gls 3)

Born: 12 October 1969


Date: 1 July 1986


Upton Park : 20 January 1990

Transferred: GILLINGHAM

Date: June 1991

Fee: Free

Appearances: 0/1 (gls 0) Cup: 1 (gls 0)

Born: 9 December 1961, Protesov, Czechoslovakia


Date: February 1990

Fee: £266,430


18th February 1990 County Ground


Fee: £50,000

Appearances: 316 Cup: 57

Born: 13 May 1961, Dundee, Scotland


Date: January 1990

Fee: Loan


Baseball Ground : 24 January 1990

Transferred: Return loan February 1990

Appearances: 0 Cup: 1

Died: 6 September 2015, Dundee, Scotland (aged 54)

588. Colin FOSTER ... (1989 - 1994)

At six feet-four he was one of the tallest players in the Football League and consequently Colin was a dominating figure at the heart of the defence. Comes from Kent but served his apprenticeship in the East End with Leyton Orient who signed him in July 1980. Scored his first senior goal the day he became a professional with the "O's" in a match against Huddersfield Town, and in May 1987 moved to Nottingham Forest for £50,000. The transfer following a loan-spell. Colin soon established himself in the heart of Brian Clough's defence until injury at Christmas 1988 lost him his place. A cheque for £750,000 persuaded Forest to transfer him to the Boleyn. "Fozzie" made his Hammers debut on the 23rd September 1989 against Watford in a 1-0 victory at Upton Park. In his time at West Ham he was always battling to overcome injuries and in August 1992 remained on a weekly contract after initially turning down a new one-year deal and he also turned down the chance to rejoin The Forest after he could not agree personal terms with the Nottingham club. Played just five games at the start of the 1993-94 campaign before joining First Division Notts County on loan. "Fozzie" looked set to join County but the £150,000 fee was to much for County and Colin eventually signed for Watford on transfer deadline day March 1994 in a deal worth £80,000. Later played for Cambridge United.

589. Justin FASHANU ... (1989)

Justin began his career as an apprentice with Norwich City making his league debut in December 1978. In 1980 he won the BBC Goal of the Season award. He subsequently became Britain’s first £1m black ffootballer when he transferred to Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest as a replacement for the outgoing Trevor Francis. His career stalled as his professional relationship with Clough deteriorated; Clough, it would appear, was disturbed by the rumours of Justin’s visits to gay nightclubs and bars. After 32 games at the City Ground he was loaned out to Southampton, and in December 1982 was sold to local rivals Notts County for only £150,000. He scored 20 times in 64 games for the Magpies before moving to Brighton & Hove Albion in June 1985 for a fee of £115,000, where a knee injury looked to have finished his career. He went to the United States for surgery and began playing again, first with Los Angeles Heat and then to Canada wuth the Edmonton Brickmen and also Hamilton Steelers. He returned to the UK and tried to resurrect his career with Manchester City in October 1989, playing just twice , but on 20th November 1989, bearly a month after joining the club, he moved to West Ham United on loan. Made his Hammers debut as a late substitute in the Littlewoods Cup home win over Wimbledon on the 22nd November 1989 and was substituted in the home league draw with Stoke City on the 2nd December. But for most of his stay Fashanu was dogged by a hamstring injury, which prevented him training. Manager Lou Macari comments: "The problem has been that the player has not been fit to play enough games for us during his month here, so that we were not able to reach a decision." Later played for Leyton Orient, Toronto Blizzard, Torquay United, Airdrieonians, Trelleborg, Hearts, Atlanta Ruckus and Miramar Rangers.

590. Perry SUCKLING ... (1989 - 1990)

Signed on a month’s loan period from Crystal Palace because of the continuing knee problems suffered by senior custodian Phil Parkes, and the protracted discussions with the Department of Employment to get Czechoslovakian goalkeeper Ludek Mikosko a work permit. The flaxen haired goalkeeper became a victim of the Eagle’s poor start to the 1989-90 season and was eventually ousted by England Under-21 international, Nigel Martyn, who cost the Selhurst Park club £1,000,000 to sign from Bristol Rovers. After agreeing to extend his loan period to a second month, he was suddenly recalled to Selhurst Park by Crystal Palace when Martyn was injured. Perry, 24, who had played for Coventry City, Manchester City and Palace made six appearances for the Hammers. Later played for Brentford (loan), Watford and Doncaster Rovers at the age of 30, although he did play in South Africa and lower non-league sides Dagenham & Redbridge and King’s Lynn. After retiring he took up various goalkeeping roles most notably with Tottenham Hotspur.

591= Ian BISHOP ... (1989 - 1998)

Signed from Manchester City along with Trevor Morley in a deal which resulted in Mark Ward going the other way. A play maker drafted in to fill the boots of Liam Brady he served his apprenticeship with Everton but made only one First Division appearance before playing for Crewe on loan and then signing for Carlisle United. At the termination of his contract in the summer of 1988 Harry Redknapp invited him to join Bournemouth and Ian had such a successful year with the Cherries that Mel Machin paid £700,000 to take him to Maine Road in the summer of 1989. "Bish" became a big hit with the Manchester City fans who were somewhat shocked when new manager Howard Kendall off-loaded him, for a second time, in December 1989 when he joined Hammers, making his debut in the 0-1 defeat at Leicester City in a Second Division clash on the 30 December 1989. Gained his first international honour when he was capped by England B against Switzerland in May 1991. Previously linked with moves to Southampton and Queens Park Rangers. Bish rejoined his former club Manchester City on a free transfer 26 March 1998. Instant relegation gave him the Blues, but 12 months on, helped steer City back into Division One via the play-offs, followed by Premiership status in 2000. Transferred to Miami Fusion in March 2001, later playing for Rochdale, Radcliffe Borough and New Orleans Shell Shockers in the USL Premier Development League.

591= Trevor MORLEY ... (1989 - 1995)

Son of former Nottingham Forest player Bill Morley, Trevor was born in Nottingham on this day in 1961 and was on Derby County's books as a youngster before signing for non-league Corby Town and then Nuneaton Borough winning a Southern League championship medal. Scored three goals in the FA Cup and caught the eye of Northampton Town who paid £20,000 for his services in the summer of 1985.  After scoring 39 goals in 139 appearances, Manchester city forked out £235,000 to take him to Maine Road in January 1988. Contributed 12 goals to City's promotion winning run from Division Two. The following season he lost favour with Maine Road’s new manager Howard Kendall who saw no place for Morley in his new look side. West Ham United manager Lou Macari brought him and fellow City teammate Ian Bishop to the Boleyn Ground on the 28 December 1989 in a swap deal which took Mark Ward the other way. Two-days later Morley and Bishop made their claret and blue debuts in the 1-0 reverse against Leicester City at Filbert Street. In only his second season at the Boleyn Ground, Morley plundered 17 goals to fire West Ham to promotion to the First Division, although a domestic stabbing incident in March 1991 sidelined him for eight games until the Semi-final of the FA Cup in 1991.The striker didn't recaptured his earlier form until he spent a summer loan period with Norwegian club, Brann before the start of the 1992-93 Second Division campaign when he teamed up with Clive Allen. Morley struck a further 22 times back in the second tier, as the Hammers won promotion to the top flight for a second time in three seasons.Trevor was voted Hammer of the year in 1994, injuries and loss of form in 1995 saw him make just 16 appearances. Trevor Morley made 214 appearances and scored 70 goals before joining Reading on a free transfer in July 1995. Later played for Norwegian clubs Sogndal, Nest-Sotra, Brann and Bergen Sparta of Norway’s Fifth Division, whom he later coached in April 2001 as well as becoming Arsenal's Scandinavian scout.


593. Jimmy QUINN ... (1990 - 1991)

Quinn was playing for Oswestry Town when Swindon Town spotted him in 1981. Made his League debut for them v. Walsall in March 1982 but scored only 10 goals in 49 League games. Blackburn Rovers signed him for £32,000 in August 1984 and he contributed 17 goals in 71 League games for them. In December 1986 Lou Macari took him back to Swindon at a cost of £50,000 and this time fired 30 goals in 64 League appearances. Macari wanted him to stay but Jimmy insisted on a move and Swindon realised £210,000 from his transfer to Leicester City. Did not settle at Filbert Street (6 goals in 31 Second Division outings) and it was Bradford City who opened the door. In December 1989 the Northern Ireland international rejoined Macari at the Boleyn ground for a £320,00 fee. "Quinny" made his Hammers debut against Barnsley at Upton Park in a Second Division clash ending in a 1-1 draw, he went on to net 13 goals in 20 League games including two against Brighton after he had been drafted on as substitute. Season 1990-91 was not a great one for Jimmy being on the subs bench more times than playing and was eventually transferred to Bournemouth of the Third Division in the summer of 1991 for a fee of £40,000. In 1992 he joined Reading to become their player-manager. Later played for Peterborough United, Swindon Town, Northwich Victoria, Hereford United, Hayes. Then as player manager at both Northwich Victoria and Shrewsbury Town.

594. Paul KELLY ... (1990)








Kelly spent two years at the Football Association GM National School at Lilleshall before returning to the Hammers apprentice ranks in 1986. A former England Schoolboy star he played 11 times for the England Youth side and made his Football League debut as a second-half substitute for Steve Potts in the 1-2 defeat by Hull City at Upton Park on the 20th January 1990. Paul's first full game came when he was named for the Zenith Data Systems Cup match against Luton Town, which resulted in a 1-5 thrashing by the Kenilworth Road club. Paul was given a free transfer in the summer of 1991, Gillingham gave him a chance, using him in a pre-season match against the Hammers before the start of 1991-92 campaign but his stay was short lived and he gave up soccer as a career.

595. Ralph MILNE ... (1990)

Played only 22 minutes after coming on as a 98th minute substitute in extra time in the Littlewoods Cup replay against Derby County at the Baseball Ground on the 24th January 1990 which ended 0-0, whilst with the Hammers' on a month’s loan from Manchester United. This was to be the sum total of Ralph's playing time for West Ham's First XI. The 28 year old Scot, started his footballing career with another future Hammer Ray Stewart at Dundee United. Spent 10 years with the Scottish club before moving to Charlton Athletic in 1987. Ralph made 22 League appearances for The Valley club before joining Bristol City on loan, then transferring to them on a more permanent agreement. Ralph's demise followed his transfer to Manchester United, in 1989, he managed to score 3 goals in 22 First Division games, but was not really given an opportunity by Alex Ferguson to show what he could do. Later played for Sing Tao FC (Hong Kong)

596. Ludek MIKLOSKO ... (1990 - 1998)

Czechoslovakian international, signed by manager Lou Macari from Banik Ostrava for a bargain fee of £266,430 on the 9 February 1990. Made his Hammers debut on the 18 against Swindon Town in a Second Division at the County Ground in a 2-2 draw. Brought up in a mining town of Ostrava, Ludek joined Banik as a 16-year-old and was with them for 12 years apart from a two-year stint in Western Bohemia while on national service. Won League championship medal with Banik and played for them in the European Cup. A goalkeeping giant in every sense, the hugely popular "Ludo" stands over 6ft 4ins tall and is a commanding figure in his penalty area. Miklosko was voted Hammer of the Year in 1991 and equalled the club record set by Phil Parkes for keeping 22 clean sheets. After almost nine years at Upton Park, with Shaka Hislop and Craig Forrest heading the pecking order, Ludo joined Queens Park Rangers on a three month loan in the autumn of 1998,  finally agreed to a more permanent transfer to the Ranger's for an officially 'undisclosed fee' believed to be in the region of £50,000 on Christmas Day 1998. Glenn Roeder offered him the chance to returned to the club in the summer of 2001 as goalkeeping coach.

ALLEN Martin MORLEY Trevor BISHOP Ian Autographs : Billy Bonds Autographs : John Lyall 587 ALLEN Martin
594 KELLY Paul