theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh FENTON Ted signature

Syd King 1902 - 1932 ...

Player Pen Pictures and Autographs

Part 7 : 278. William Wade (1929-30) to 302. William Johnson (1932-33)

Born: 22 March 1901, South Shields, County Durham





Ewood Park : 31 August 1929


Appearances: 16 (gls 0)

Died: 23 August 1958, Shotley Bridge, County Durham (aged 57)

Born: 29 September 1900, Marple, Cheshire

Signed: BURY




Ewood Park : 31 August 1929

Transferred: COVENTRY CITY

Date: Summer 1930

Appearances: 15 (gls 9)

Died: 5 December 1989, Coventry (aged 89)

278= William WADE ... (1929 - 1931)

Sometimes confused with his namesake and contemporary, fellow full-back Reg Wade. Bill was a big, beefy defender who came to Hammers from Preston North End, He had previously played as an amateur for Smith's High Docks, Bertram F.C. (in the South Shields Combination) and Jarrow F.C. (in the North-Eastern League). Bill made his Hammers debut in the 3-3 draw against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park in the opening fixture of the 1929-30 campaign, 31st August 1929. Mainly a reserve at the Boleyn, he returned North to join the newly-formed Wigan Athletic in 1932.

278= John BALL ... (1927 - 1928)

Born: 26 September 1906, Burnley, Lancashire


Date: 1929



Anfield : 14 September 1929


Appearances: 37 (gls 4) Cup: 6 (gls 2)

Died: 17 January 1942, Egypt (aged 37)

Born: Royton, Lancashire (date unknown)


Date: 1929



Upton Park : 21 September 1929


Date: June 1935

Appearances: 63 (gls 13) Cup: 1 (gls 0)

Died: (unknown)

Born: 8 October 1904, Becontree Heath, Essex

Signed: ILFORD




Upton Park : 12 October 1929

Transferred: Retired

Appearances: 24 (gls 0) Cup: 0 (gls 0)

Died: 29 December 1988 (aged  84)

Born: Ilford, Essex.

Signed: ILFORD




Upton Park : 18 January 1930

Transferred: ALDERSHOT

Appearances: 32 (gls 0) Cup: 1 (gls 0)

Died: 1970

Born: 19 February 1907, Crosskeys, Monmouthshire, Wales


Date: May 1930



Upton Park : 30 August 1930


Date: 26 February 1932

Fee: £600

Appearances: 40 (gls 7) Cup 1 (gls 0)

Died: 29 September 1993, Caterham, Surrey (aged 89)

Born: 8 July 1906, Barking, London


Date: 8 May 1929



Blundell Park : 4 October 1930

Transferred: Retired

Appearances: 1 (gls 0)

Died: 25 August 1971, Bembridge, Isle of Wight (aged 65)

A former miner, who made his mark with Silverwood Colliery FC in the Sheffield Association League. It was not long before League clubs began to notice his goalscoring prowess and he subsequently joined Sheffield United. Fortune didn't smile on him at Bramall Lane, however, a bad injury forcing him back into non-League soccer for a season with Wath Athletic in the Midland League. His career underwent a remarkable transformation when he signed for First Division Bury and his fairytale comeback was completed in 1927 when he was chosen to play for England v. Ireland in Belfast. Ted Hufton in goal sustained a broken arm and despite carrying on for longer than was wise, eventually left the field - there were no substitutes allowed in those days, but Johnny Ball gave a creditable performance as makeshift 'keeper as England's 10 men went down 0-2. Whether this incident played any part in the sharp-eyed inside-left joining Hammers is not known. Making a scoring debut against Blackburn Rovers in the opening 1929-30 fixture in a 3-3 draw 31 August 1929. His nine goals in 15 First Division appearances certainly paid dividends. John joined Coventry City when he left the Boleyn Ground.

280. Walter POLLARD ... (1929 - 1933)

Signed as a full professional by First Division Burnley at the age of 17, Pollard formed a memorable right-wing partnership with the Claret's famous England international Bob Kelly while at Turf Moor. Switching his allegiance (but not his colours) when he joined Hammers in the summer of 1929, Walter made his West Ham debut against Liverpool at Anfield in a 1-3 defeat on the 14 September 1929, he made his Upton Park debut later the same season against his former club in a 1-0 victory. A member of the West Ham team which reached the F.A. Cup Semi-Final in 1933, he left the club to take up the appointment of player-coach with Soucaux in France during the 1933-34 season, but did not find the Gallic temperament of some of the players to his liking. Returning to England he played out the remainder of his career with Fulham, Southampton and Brighton; the latter of whom he was serving when WW2 called an abrupt halt to League football. Walter died 17 January 1942 in Egypt on war service.

281. Jim WOOD ... (1929 - 1934)

This speedy outside-right gave six seasons of loyal service to West Ham without ever being able to lay claim to a regular First XI place. After learning the basics of the game with Crompton Albion in the Oldham Amateur League, he signed professional forms for Hyde F.C. He left Hyde for a season and went to Bournemouth, but returned to his first pro club before transferring to Hammers in 1929. Made his West Ham debut in the 2-0 victory at Upton Park against Derby County on the 21 September 1929. The highlight of his career with the Hammers must have been his inclusion in the team which did battle with Everton in the F.A. Cup Semi-Final at Molineux in 1932-33. Drafted into the team as a replacement for the injured Tommy Yews, turned in a fine display as Irons went down 1-2 and unluckily missed out on Wembley. In June 1935 Jim transferred to Crystal Palace.

282. Walter ST. PIER ... (1929 - 1933)

A Reserve Team centre-half who spent most of his playing days as understudy to Jim  Barrett, but went on to serve West Ham United for 47 years as Chief Scout to become the greatest "star-finder" in the club's history. Among his many discoveries with the help of his vast scouting network were the legendary trio of Moore, Hurst and Peters. His first amateur club was Eagle Park F.C., but Wally arrived at the Boleyn from Ilford F.C. in April 1929 after selection for Essex County, the Isthmian League and F.A. XI's. He made his First Division bow at right-half against Leicester City at Upton Park in a 1-2 defeat on the 12 October 1929, numbering four senior outings that campaign. The most appearances he managed in any one season was seven. It was when he retired from playing and was appointed Chief Scout by his manager a good friend Charlie Paynter that he found his true forte. Beginning as a steady trickle, the flow of talent he brought to the club reached it's crescendo in the Sixties and Seventies, and was evident in all Hammers' Cup triumphs over that period. Given a well-deserved Testimonial Evening in May 1975 (when many of his "finds" turned out to play). Wally retired the following year after a lifetime of loyal service.

283. Reg WADE ... (1930 - 1932)

Reginald Arthur Wade signed professional for Hammers in 1929, after gaining an F.A. Amateur Cup winners medal with Ilford F.C. in that year's Final against Leyton at Highbury. Taking the step up the professionalism  in his stride, he made his First Division debut in the left-back position in a 4-1 victory over Liverpool at Upton Park on the 18 January 1930. His best run  in the First Team was in 1930-31 season when he made 28 appearances. He transferred to Aldershot in 1932. Also had a spell with Millwall whom he joined from Barking in 1925, but failed to make the first team.

284. Wilf JAMES ... (1930 - 1931)

Wilfred Henry James began his footballing career with Cross Keys School just after the First World War. He graduated to local Welsh sides Abercarn Welfare and Ynysddu Crusaders before signing for Newport County in 1925. Went to Yorkshire works team Thorne Colliery before moving on to Owston Park Rangers for the 1927-28 campaign. James re-entered League football with Notts County in October 1928 and scored 6 goals in 16 appearances, before signing for West Ham United from the Magpies on 9 May 1930. The inside-left made his Hammers debut in the opening First Division fixture of the 1930-31 campaign against Huddersfield Town in a 2-1 victory at Upton Park, 30 August 1930. Whilst with the Hammers he was chosen twice to play for the Wales national side against Ireland in matches at Wrexham and Belfast in 1931. A fine inside-left and a great character who had a deep affection for his bowler hat. In fact, it was the first article of clothing he would put on when he changed after a match, often standing stark naked in the dressing room wearing only his "titfer". Scored 7 goals in 36 appearances in his first West Ham campaign, and although he was restricted to just 4 first team appearances the following campaign he chalked up 11 goals for the Reserves Combination side. He transferred to Charlton Athletic on 26 February 1932 for a £600 fee, and later had spells with Workington then Carlisle United.

Born: 9 March 1907, Tunbridge Wells, Kent





Upton Park : 25 December 1930

Transferred: SOUTHAMPTON

Appearances: 7 (gls 0)

Died: 17 March 1974, East Malling, Kent (aged 67)

Born: 3 February 1901, Shirebrook, Derbyshire


Date: October 1930



Upton Park : 3 January 1931


Appearances: 5 (gls 0)

Died: 22 February 1982, Rushcliffe, Notts (aged 81)

Born: 24 July 1908, Billingborough, Lincolnshire

Signed: Boston Town

Date: Summer 1930



Old Trafford : 14 February 1931


Date: 12 July 1933

Appearances: 20 (gls 0) Cup: 0 (gls 0)

Died: 28 September 1998, Coningsby, Lincolnshire (aged 90)

Born: 29 February 1908, Sedgefield, County Durham





Old Trafford : 14 February 1931

Transferred: SWINDON TOWN

Date: 27 January 1937

Appearances: 36 (gls 1) Cup: 4 (gls 1)

Died: 1981

Born: 17 June 1905, Darley Dale, Derbyshire


Date: 6 October 1930



Upton Park : 28 March 1931


Appearances: 3 (gls 0) Cup: 0 (gls 0)

Died: 30 March 1968, Brentwood, Essex (aged 62)

285. Albert EVANS ... (1930)

Albert “Arthur” Evans started his career as an amateur with Middlesex Wanderers before signing for local side Barking Town in 1921. He spent four seasons with the Athenian League club’s reserves before making the outside-right position his own, winning an F.A. Amateur Cup Final medal, London Senior cap and badge and an Athenian League cap and badge. Described by the distinguished football reporter Norman Ackland as: “Tremendously fast, at ball control he has few masters. He centres splendidly, anticipates the run of play like a veteran, and converges in on goal from the outside-left.” From the mid-1920s onwards, honours were bestowed thick and fast on this lead-burner by trade, including in 1925, picked on two occasions for the Athenian League in memorable victories over the Isthmian League. After an impressive 9-1 victory in a trail for England on 2 February 1929 at the County Ground, Northampton versus The Rest, Evans then became the first Barking Town player to be capped for England when he was selected for the match against Wales two-weeks later at Brighton’s Goldstone Ground  which resulted in a 1-1 draw. Said to have had an almost angelic choir-boy type appearance, West Ham United invited this speedy right-winger for a trial against Metropolitan Police ‘J’ Division in the London Mid-Week League on 22 April 1929, Evans scored  in the 5-1 victory and signed professional forms on 8 May 1929 primarly as understudy to Tommy Yews. Although he only made one First Division appearance in a disastrous 0-4 defeat at Grimsby Town 4 October 1930. In May 1933 Arthur had retired and was working for the Gas Light and Coke Co. In a newspaper article of that time he said: “Professional football is a full-time job if you have the ambition to progress and become a star player. My choice went to my job because I was married, but I had some great times touring the Continent and Europe with Middlesex Wanderers.

286. Jim HARRIS ... (1930 - 1932)

Normally a left-winger, James William Harris made his West Ham United debut in the inside-left position in a 4-3 victory over Portsmouth on Christmas Day 1930 at Upton Park. Signed from Kent League Folkstone, he made a further four appearances in the claret and blue that season, and two more the next before moving on to Southampton in July 1932, for whom he made his debut against Millwall 27 August 1932. He only made one more first team appearance and after playing 44 combination games and scoring eight goals, he was given a free transfer.

287. Ernest ENGLAND ... (1931)

Ernie was a long-serving left-back with Sunderland, when they were a force in the land and could boast of such illustrious company as England international goalkeeper Albert McInroy and a trio of Scottish internationals in right-half Billy Clunas, Tommy McInally and Adam McLean who joined the Wearsiders as a complete left-wing from Glasgow Celtic. The experienced defender made his Hammers' debut in the amazing 5-5 home draw with Aston Villa on 3 January 1931, and later proved invaluable in passing on his wealth of knowledge to younger players before joining Mansfield Town.

Born: 29 May 1905, Charing Cross, London





Filbert Street : 4 April 1931

Transferred: BRENTFORD

Appearances: 2 (gls 2)

Died: 30 March 1968, Lambeth, London (aged 62)

Born: 16 August 1904, Plaistow, London

Signed: Trial game

Date: 1931


Burden Park : 29 August 1931

Retired: 1944

Appearances: 188 (gls 1) Cup: 14 (gls 0)

Died: 11 June 1971 (aged 66) Tasburgh, Norfolk

Born: 12 November 1900, Croy, Inverness, Scotland


Date: June 1931

Fee: £625


Burnden Park : 29 August 1931

Transferred: LOVELL'S ATHLETIC (Wales)

Date: July 1932

Fee: £500

Appearances: 20 (gls 3) Cup: 2 (gls 1)

Died: 1953

Born: 9 August 1895, Brierley Hill, West Midlands

Signed: THAMES

Date: May 1931

Fee: £500


Ewood Park : 28 November 1931


Date: 1932

Appearances: 21 (gls 3) Cup: 2 (gls 0)

Died: 1978

Born: 26 July 1914, Sheffield, Yorkshire


Date: 26 February 1932

Fee: £600


Upton Park : 26 March 1932


Appearances: 258 (gls 54) Cup: 17 (gls 3)

Died: 8 March 1986 (aged 71)

Born: 6 October 1908, Newcastle-upon-Tyne


Date: Summer 1932

Fee: £500


Vetch Field : 27 August 1932

Transferred: CHESTER

Date: 14 March 1934

Appearances: 29 (gls 14) Cup: 6 (gls 2)

Died 31 January 2000, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (aged 91)

Born: 9 March 1909, Dumbarton, Scotland


Date: 3 May 1932


Vetch Field : 27 August 1932


Date: June 1935

Appearances: 21 (gls 15) Cup: 2 (gls 1)

Died: 1949

Born: 4 December 1905, Forest Gate, London

Signed: ILFORD




Upton Park : 29 August 1932


Appearances: 33 (gls 0) Cup: 5 (gls 0)

Died: 5 April 1991, Waltham Forest (aged 85)

Born: 26 May 1911, Glasgow, Scotland


Date: June 1931



Upton Park : 29 August 1932

Transferred: CHELSEA

Date: June 1934

Appearances: 3 (gls 0)

Died: 1986

288= Reg GOODACRE ... (1930 - 1933)

A Lincolnshire lad who was on the books with Lincoln City but never made a first team appearance. Joined Boston Town for the start of the 1927-28 season and went on to make 58 League outings for the non-league side. Signed for West Ham United in the summer of 1930 and made his initial claret and blue appearance for the Reserves at Reading 30 August 1930. Usually employed in the right-back position, Reginal Goodacre was the cousin of a more famous professional, Eric Houghton, the Aston Villa left-winger, capped seven times by England. His first team game was against Manchester United along with fellow debutant Joe Musgrave at Old Trafford on the 14 February 1931 in a 0-1 reverse, Reg Goodacre proved an invaluable deputy for Hammers' more experienced backs, and gave the club good service over three seasons until his move to Mansfield Town on 12 July 1933. There, he made 18 appearances in 1933-34, scoring one goal. He then joined Midland League club Peterborugh United and made 35 appearances in 1934-35. He later had a short spell with Chesterfield and then Gainsborough Trinity.

288= Joe MUSGRAVE ... (1931 - 1936)

Formerly with Lincolnshire non-Leaguers Spennymoor United, Joseph Musgrave made his Hammers' debut in a 0-1 reverse against Manchester United at Old Trafford on the 14 February 1931. Joe Musgrove scored his one and only League goal against Blackpool at Upton Park in a 3-2 victory on 11 April 1931. Although mainly a Reserve, Joe nevertheless managed a fair total of appearances during his seven seasons at the Boleyn - despite having no League games in 1934-35. On the 27 January 1937 he joined Swindon Town.

290. Arthur FRYATT ... (1931 - 1932)

Arthur William Fryatt was a reserve team left-back who played his first game in the League side against Derby County at Upton Park on the 28 March 1931 in a match the Rams won 1-0. He failed to make any First Division appearances the following season, but had two more outings on Hammers' return to Division II in 1932-33, again finishing on the losing side in successive defeats: at the Boleyn versus Bury on the 1 October 1932 (0-1); and the following Saturday in a 0-6 reverse against Lincoln City at Sincil Bank. Arthur had a novel experience on the 4 January 1933 when, with team-mates Bill Johnson and Jimmy Ruffell, he played in the first F.A. official floodlit match in England. The game was staged at White City Stadium (as an experiment by the Football Association) using players picked from London's League club's the ball frequently being dipped in a bucket of whitewash before a curious crowd of 12,000 spectators!

291. Frederick GAMBLE ... (1931)

Frederick Charles Gamble started his career with Southall, Frederick Gamble signed professional forms for Brentford before joining West Ham in 1931. Frederick was a magnificently-built centre-forward whose six-foot frame was capable of unsettling the strongest of defences. At Upton Park, however, Fred had the stiffest possible competition for the First Team place in Vivian Gibbins and Victor Watson, and although he scored in both his First Division appearances at Leicester City a 1-1 draw 4 April 1931 and Bolton Wanderers respectively, he was never given the opportunity to show the Boleyn fans his undoubted talent at the highest level, he was later allowed to rejoin his former team-mates at Griffin Park.

292= Alfred CHALKLEY ... (1931 - 1937)

The product of a well-known footballing family - both of his brothers played the game. A goalscoring outside-left in schools soccer, young Alf was capped for England Boys against Scotland  at Liverpool in 1917. There was to be a long gap between that early success and his signing for West Ham United in 1931, with Army duty as an Artilleryman taking up much of the intervening years. After impressing in a trial game, Alf played one League match as an amateur before signing professional forms for the 1931-32 season. Alfred Chalkley made his Hammers debut in the 1-0 victory against Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park on 29 August 1931, he was converted to the full-back position, he had to curb his goalscoring bent, although his solitary league goal for Hammers was a remarkable one. It came in a rearranged League match against Manchester City at Upton Park on Wednesday 2 March 1932. In a fixture which also marked the reappearance of Syd Puddefoot after a ten year absence, Alf kicked the ball from near his own penalty-area, and his intended clearance sailed over the head of the Mancunians' goalkeeper Langford for the only goal of the game! Although major honours passed him by, Alf did represent the London Combination on three occasions. Chalkley's last first team appearance was against Fulham in November 1936, although he was a regular member of West Ham's London Combination side up until January 1944. He also appeared as a guest during WW2 for Southend United (1939-40), Fulham (Feb 1941), Chelsea (May 1941), Clapton Orient (Apr 1944), Millwall (Sep 1944), Queens Park Rangers (Dec 1944), Luton Town (May 1945) and finally ending back up at Southend United (Aug/Sep 1945), making his final apperance for the Shrimpers on 1 September 1945.

292= Anthony WELDON ... (1931 - 1932)

Tony Weldon began his career with Scottish junior side Kilsyth Rangers before moving on to Airdrieonians for the princely sum of £5 in December 1924. At Bloomfield Park he succeeded in turn, two full Scottish internationals in Willie Russell and Hughie Gallagher, until a thumping £2,000 transfer to Everton in March 1927. His partnership with fellow compatriot Alec Troup made a major contribution to the Toffeemen's League Championship success the following year. In June 1930 he was on his travels again when a £1,000 fee took him to Hull City where he made 31 League appearances and scored six goals before joining West Ham in June 1931. He made his Hammers debut against Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park in a 1-0 victory on the 29th August 1931. He battled bravely on Hammers' behalf in 20 League First Team appearances during the disappointing 1931-32 campaign. In the following close season he moved on again, this time to Welsh side Lovell's Athletic, serving his by now customary year's stint, then transferring to Rochdale in the summer of 1933. The following summer he joined Dundalk as player-coach, and late in 1934 was appointed player-manager of Bangor (Northern Ireland); thus becoming one of the few players to play for clubs in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Eire and Wales.

294. Wilf PHILLIPS ... (1931 - 1932)

A famous name from Millwall's Third Division South Championship side of 1928, which notched up a record 65 points and 127 goals in winning the title. "Peanuts" Phillips - as he was lovingly tagged by the Dockers' fans played non-league football with Bilston United before joining Football League side Stoke City in 1919. He played 14 matches for the "Potters" scoring three goals which included a brace against Coventry City on Boxing day. However manager Arthur Shallcross was seemingly unimpressed by Phillips's performance during the 1919–20 and he was released by the club. He went on to play for Ebbw Vale, Darlaston and made a return to Bilston United before he re-entered League football with Bristol Rovers in 1923. He had an impressive first season at Rovers scoring 23 goals in 42 games and in December 1925 he joined league rivals Millwall for £500 where he became a prolific forward for the "Lions". After scoring 62 goals in 119 matches for Millwall he joined the short lived Thames in June 1930, and then signed for West Ham United, for another £500 fee, in May 1931. Wilf scored on his debut in the claret-and-blue on the 28 November 1931 in a 4-2 victory against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. It proved to be one of the few bright spots of a dismal season which saw Hammers relegated to the Second Division at its end, and Phillips departed from the Upton Park scene to join near - neighbours Clapton Orient before returning to his native Midlands and played for Stourbridge.

295. John MORTON ... (1931 - 1939)

The first of Hammers' many successful signings from Midland League Gainsborough Trinity. Morton made his Hammers debut against Arsenal at Upton Park in a 1-1 draw on the 26 March 1932; he became a pro at the age of 17. Went on to win international recognition when he partnered club-mate Len Goulden on England's left-wing against Czechoslovakia at White Hart Lane in 1937. Scored an international debut goal in the 5-4 victory. John would have surely won more caps but for an untimely injury which resulted in Arsenal's Cliff Bastin taking his place. Although only a handful of his total appearances were in the First Division - during the ill-fated 1931-32 season - the speedy Yorkshireman became an automatic choice throughout the thirties up to the outbreak of WW2. In 1935 John had the honour of being chosen to play for England in two “unofficial games”, the first against an Anglo-Scots XI at Arsenal’s Highbury Stadium, the second opposing Scotland at Hampden Park, Glasgow in that year's King George’s Jubilee Trust matches, but overall could count himself unlucky not to have won more recognition.

296= Arthur WILSON ... (1932 - 1934)

Another member of the considerable North-East England enclave which assembled in increasing numbers between the wars at Upton Park. A Geordie by birth, Arthur was a talented inside-forward who liked a crack at goal. His early honours included selection for both Newcastle and Northumberland Boys, and he was snapped up by his local club - Scotswood F.C. - when he left school. He then made the long trip South to sign professional forms for Southampton, where his fine form attracted the attention of West Ham's management and an invitation to Upton Park. Making his initial Iron's appearance against Swansea Town in a 0-1 defeat at the Vetch Field on the opening day of the 1932-33 campaign, 27th August. He went on to score a creditable 15 goals in 33 League and Cup games that season. Arthur later joined Chester and in November 1937 he joined Wolverhampton Wanderers where he stayed until January 1939 when he transferred to Torquay United.

296= Hugh MILLS ... (1932 - 1935)

Alerted by his prolific goalscoring feats in Scottish junior football for St. Anthony's and Bridgetown Waverley F.C. of the Scottish Central League. Hammers brought the sharp-shooting centre-forward South along with his brother George during on 3 May 1932. An athlete of some renown in his native Scotland, his ability to run 100 yards in 11 seconds made him a difficult proposition for opposing centre-halves, and stood him in good stead in the scoring stakes. Scoring on his debut on the opening day of the 1932-33 season against Bradford City at the Boleyn, he managed an amazing goal-a-game scoring ratio in his 12 First XI appearances in 1934-35, scoring in nine successive games. Mills was transferred to Glasgow Celtic in June 1935.

George William R. Watson began his football career as a bustling centre-forward with his local junior side, Whycliffe Albion F.C. scoring 69 goals for that club when they won the Forest Gate and District League Championship. Despite this success, it was when he  joined his next club, Abbey Langthorne Works team, that he realised his true ambition - to be a goalkeeper! Proving to be as efficient at stopping goals as he had been at scoring them, he came to Hammers as an amateur during the 1929-30 season, and after being sent to Ilford F.C. to gain experience, was signed as a professional. Given the unenviable task of replacing Ted Hufton after the latter had transferred to Watford following Hammers' relegation to Division II in 1932, Watson made his Hammers debut in a 2-4 defeat at the hands of Bradford City at Upton Park on the 29th August 1932, he did well in his initial season as a First Team regular and was in the side which reached that year's F.A. Cup Semi-Finals.

298= George WATSON ... (1932 - 1935)

Born: 7 November 1914, Forest Gate, London




Valley Parade : 7 Septemebr 1932


Date: 1946

Appearances: 163 (gls 13) Cup: 13 (gls 0)

Died: 12 July 1992 (aged 77)

Born: 4 February 1910, Little Lever, Lancashire

Signed: BARROW

Date: June 1932

Fee: £800


Upton Park : 15 October 1932


Appearances: 162 (gls 0) Cup: 12 (gls 0)

Died: Dagenham 1993

298= Richard DEACON ... (1932 - 1933)

Deacon had trials with both Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham in 1928, before signing professional forms with Wolves in January 1930, from where the Hammers signed him from in June 1931. Managed just the 3 games with the Molineux club each time replacing his brother. Deacon played his first game for Hammers along with George Watson for the match against Bradford City in the inside-left position, a 2-4 defeat at Upton Park on the 29 August 1932. Later tried out in the inside-right and then centre-forward positions to complete his first team appearances in the claret and blue. He later signed for Chelsea in June 1934, Glenavon later the same year, Northampton Town October 1935 and Lincoln City between 1936-1939. After which he guested for Darlington during the Second World War. Deacon never played competitively after 1945.

300. Edward FENTON ... (1932 - 1946)

Ted joined West Ham as a youngster and one of his earliest memories of Upton Park was being sent to fetch beer for manager Syd King. He made his League debut for Hammers in a 1-5 away defeat at the hands of Bradford City on the 7th September 1932, he was on the losing side five times in six outings, but his second season was more successful with six appearances on the winning side and a hat-trick against Bury. He played regularly right up to the outbreak of World War Two, during which he served as a PT instructor with the army in North Africa and Burma. When the war was over Fenton became manager of Colchester United, who were then a Southern League club, and he brought that club national fame when he steered them to the fifth round F.A. Cup  where they were beaten by First Division Blackpool. Shortly afterwards he was enticed back to Upton Park.

301= Albert WALKER ... (1932 - 1937)

This stout-hearted defender began his career at Southport, Albert spent just over a year at Haig Avenue before moving to st Division Bolton Wanderers. Alas, his initial taste of the big-time with Wanderers was a brief one. Twelve months later he had exchanged the wide open spaces of Burnden Park for the more cramped confines of Barrow F.C.'s Holker Street in the old Third Division North. But again it was only a short stay, for with Barrow unable to pay his wages, Albert could hardly refuse when Hammers' scout Ned Liddell arranged for him to travel South to join West Ham for a bargain fee in the summer of 1932. Newly relegated to the Second Division, Hammers struggled at the start of 1932-33, as the previous season's disastrous form began to spill into the next. Changes were called for, and the likeable Lancastrian made his debut in a 5-2 victory over Oldham Athletic at Upton Park on the 15 October 1932 to begin a memorable partnership with Alf Chalkley. After six seasons' stirling service with the Irons. Walker returned north again in 1938 and signed along with fellow Hammer Fred Dell for Doncaster Rovers with Arthur Banner coming to The Bolelyn Ground in exchange. After the war he joined Colchester United linking up again with former West Ham and England wing-half, Ted Fenton (then in charge at Layer Road and later to succeed Charlie Paynter as Hammers' manager in 1950. In 1952 Ted duly asked Albert to join him at Upton Park as coach to the Metropolitan League side, coming up through the ranks as he had done as a player, he took charge of the Eastern Counties League XI, the Reserves in the Football Combination and was finally attached to the First Team.

301= William JOHNSON ... (1932)

Born: 9 November 1909, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex





Upton Park : 15 October 1932


Appearances: 5 (gls 0)

Died: 7 November 1982, Southend-on-Sea (aged 72)

William Joseph Johnson made the first of his handful of Second Division appearances at centre-half along with Albert Walker in the 5-2 victory over Oldham Athletic at Upton Park on the 15 October 1932. After coming to prominence in the Southend Boro' Schools XI and later Leigh Amateurs, the tall defender followed the natural progression by signing for local League club Southend United then playing at the Kursaal Ground. A public-spirited individual, who was a member of the Southend Fire Brigade and also drove the Police Ambulance, he found his First Team opportunities limited after his transfer to Hammers due to the fine form of Jim Barrett and Wally St. Pier.

302 JOHNSON William 301 WALKER Albert 298 WATSON George Autographs : Early Years Autographs : Charlie Paynter 281 WOOD Jimmy 299 DEACON Richard 300 FENTON Edward 292 CHALKLEY Alfred

Syd PUDDEFOOT ... (1932 - 1933) Second debut

Ten years after leaving Upton Park, Puddefoot returned like a prodigal son to help Hammers' vain fight to stay in Division One at the end of the 1931-32 season. Leaving West Ham for good after making a further 15 Second Division appearances the next season, he later became manager of Northampton Town.

Special thanks to BARBARA SHRIMPTON for helping trace the Ancestry Records of the former Hammers players

278 WADE William 279 BALL John 280 POLLARD Walter 282 ST PIER Wally 283 WADE Reg 284 JAMES Wilf 285 EVANS Arthur 286 HARRIS Jim 290 FRYATT Arthur 291 GAMBLE Frederick 287 ENGLAND Ernest 288 GOODACRE Reg 289 MUSGRAVE Joe 294 PHILLIPS Wilf 295 MORTON John 296 WILSON Arthur 297 MILLS Hugh 293 WELDON Anthony