theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh Athletics June 1948 MALCOLM Andy 12 Representative report 2 Representative Medal 2 Representative Medal 1 Malcolm 02 Andy Malcolm0009 Chelsea card 02 MALCOLM Andy 11 Malcolm 01 Malcolm 03 54_04_27 WHU v. Olaria Friendly 54_10_05 WHU v. VFB Stuttgart Friendly 54_10_19 WHU v. SC Wacker Friendly

Six of the XI that December afternoon would contribute to the Division II Championship triumph four seasons later.  

Andy played 14 league games in his initial season of league football, replacing Derek Parker whose West Ham career was drawing to a close.



















The first of Andy’s 21 FA Cup appearances was in January’s 3rd round home tie against Division I side Huddersfield Town.  Now this result was memorable as the Hammers comfortably won 4-0 against the team who would finish third in the top tier.

Reserves Report WHU v. Portsmouth Reserves 02 Scrapbook 01 Tottenham Hotspur v. WHU ECL - Back Youth Int Table 2 Andy Malcolm - Card 2
MALCOLM Andy signature

Andy Malcolm (1933 - 2013)

by Roger Hillier

The 1950s was a decade of fluctuating fortunes for West Ham. During these 10 years the club rose from the mediocrity of the lower half of Division Two to the heights of sixth place in the top tier. A player who made a significant contribution to that rise in the Hammers’ status was right half, Andy Malcolm.


Born: Upton Park, London May 4, 1933. Andy died December 26, 2013 aged 80

MALCOLM Andy 3 414 MALCOLM Andy MALCOLM Andy 2 MALCOLM Andy 03 MALCOLM Andy small


Andy Malcolm

MALCOLM Andy 04 53_12_05 WHU v. Notts County












Upton Park

5th December 1953


Scottish League 1 - 1 Football League

Sammy Baird                       Brian Clough


Scottish League:

Brown (Dundee), Grant (Hibernian), Caldow (Rangers), Turnbull (Hibernian), Toner (Kilmarnock), Mackay (Hearts), Hamilton (Hearts), Fernie (Celtic), Bauld (Hearts), Baird (Rangers), Auld (Celtic).


Football League:

Hopkinson (Bolton Wanderers), Bond (West Ham), Shaw G. (Sheffield United), Malcolm (West Ham), Shaw J. (Sheffield United), Iley (Tottenham Hotspur), Wilkinson (Sheffield Wednesday), Quixall (Manchester United), Clough (Middlesborough), Greaves (Chelsea), Pilkington (Burnley)

MALCOLM Andy Caricature Andy Malcolm - Card 1

Nostalgic Moments card issued in 2004

Memory Lane card issued in 2002

WHU v. Huddersfield Town FAC3 Andy Malcolm 1948 International Youth Tournament

Supplementary Round

First Round



Fifth Place Match

Third / Fourth Place

15th April

16th April

16th April

17th April

17th April

17th April

International Youth Association Football Tournament

The UEFA European Under-19 Championship is an annual football competition organised by the sport's European governing body, UEFA. The competition has been held since 1948. It was originally called the FIFA junior tournament, until it was taken over by UEFA in 1955. In 1980, it was restyled the European Under 18 Football Championship, and as changes were made to player eligibility dates in 2001, the championship received its current name, and this name has been used since the 2002 championship. The contest has been held every year since its inauguration in 1948, except for the period between 1984 and 1992, when it was only held every other year.

MALCOLM Andy 05 ECL Debut report Tottenham Hotspur v. WHU ECL

Tottenham Hotspur 6 - 0 West Ham United

Eastern Counties League

White Hart Lane

15th January 1949

La Mare











Match extract from subsequent West Ham programme

Football League : Division II debut

West Ham United 1 - 2 Notts County

London Mid-Week League debut

West Ham United 2 - 4 Southampton












50_10_09 WHU v. Southampton LMWL

Upton Park

9th October 1950

Chapman, McGowan

LMWL Report Happy Hammers

A group of Happy Hammers in the dressing room after clinching promotion at Middlesbrough

Back row: Malcolm Musgrove, Noel Cantwell, Ken Brown, Andy Malcolm, Vic Keeble

Front row: Andy Nelson, Ernie Gregory, Mike Grice


SLUG Memorabilia Scrapbook 2

Andy signed professional in July 1950 and his claret and blue first team career spanned nine seasons before transferring to Chelsea in November 1961. In his distinguished career Andy played alongside many Hammer legends including: Harry Hooper, Frank O’Farrell, Malcolm Allison, John Bond, Ken Brown, Noel Cantwell, Ernie Gregory, John Dick, Vic Keeble, Malcolm Musgrove, Phil Woosnam, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst.


A season with the Pensioners was followed by three more with Queens Park Rangers.


During his West Ham career he made 321 competitive first team appearances. 283 of these in the football league, and a further 38 in the F.A., League, Southern Floodlight and Essex Professional Cups. As a defending half back rather than an attacking one, his goal tally was limited to four in the league.

Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer

His West Ham career included several highlights:

First West Ham player to gain an England Youth international cap in 1948


Member of the 1956 team which narrowly missed out on a FA Cup semi-final place


Ever present in West Ham’s 1957-58 Division Two Championship winning side


Winner of the first Hammer of the Year title in 1958



A Football League representative cap v Scottish League in October 1958


Essex Professional Cup Winners medal 1958-59



Southern Floodlight Cup Final runners-up medal in 1960

Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer

Another timely tackle this time against Ken Whitfield of Brighton & Hove Albion

Andy tackles Frank Wignall of Everton

Junior Hammer

The first West Ham notes on Andy refer to his three international youth caps when he played for England in April 1948’s International Youth Football Association Tournament. The 1970-71 West Ham Handbook lists Andy as having won three caps in this tournament, so by definition he must have played in all three of England’s games in the 1948 competition including England’s 3-2 final win over The Netherlands. This 1948 tournament was a forerunner of the European Youth Tournament, known as the “Little World Cup”.


Andy Malcolm cemented his place in Hammers' history in 1948 as the very first West Ham United Youth International player.

Records indicate that Andy made his debut for the “A” team on January 15, 1949 in an Eastern Counties League match away to Tottenham Hotspur. Though he wasn’t included in the programme’s team listing, a supporters pencilled team change confirms his place in the side and the subsequent match report refers to his first appearance in claret and blue.

1953-54 – First Team Debut Season

Despite turning professional in July 1950 Andy had to wait over three years for his first team debut. This was an Essex Professional Cup tie on October 22 1953 away to Colchester United. Despite a Harry Hooper goal it was not a memorable baptism as the Hammers lost 5-1.  The team a mix of experienced and new faces was: Peter Chiswick, John Bond, Harry Kinsell, Andy Malcolm, Fred Cooper, Doug Bing, Harry Hooper, Terry Matthews. Fred Kearns, Albert Foan, Terry Woodgate.



Six weeks later, on Saturday December 5, 1953 and Andy made his league bow at home to Notts County. Again the result was not favourable as the Magpies won 2-1.



WHU v. Portsmouth Reserves 01

Football Combination debut

West Ham United Reserves 4 - 2 Portsmouth Reserves












Upton Park

31st August 1950

Foan 2, Wade, Betts

1954-55 – League Form Improves & Floodlit Friendlies

After West Ham lost three of the first four league games 5-2, Andy Malcolm was drafted back into the team and he retained his place for the remaining 38 matches. The Hammers final league position of 8th was a noticeable improvement on the previous season’s 13th position.

Floodlit Friendlies Against European Sides

One of manager Ted Fenton’s biggest influences on the club in the 1950s was his enthusiasm for the Hammers to experience playing against different footballing sides. Throughout the 1950s he successfully attracted many top European club sides to East London.


Andy Malcolm played in many of these floodlit affairs. Starting in April 1953 against the Brazilian side Olaria (0-0), and then in the autumn of 1954 through to the spring of 1955 West Ham enjoyed a long run of successful results. These included victories over VFB Stuggart (4-0 Oct 5, 1954), SC Wacker (3-1 Oct 19, 1954), SC Simmering (8-2 Feb 19, 1955), Holland Sports (0-0 March 25, 1955). Andy played in all of these matches and the 6-0 thrashing at the hands of AC Milan in December 1954.

54_12_14 WHU v. AC Milan Friendly

1955-56 – FA Cup Quarter-Finalists

League form was not great as the Hammers slipped to finish 16th and injury restricted Andy’s appearances to 22 in the 1955-56 Division II campaign. But the disappointing league form was partly compensated by a good run in the FA Cup.

The Hammers six game campaign culminated in reaching the quarter-finals where they met North London Division I rivals, Tottenham Hotspur. After a memorable 3-3 draw at White Hart Lane, the Hammers lost the home replay 2-1. The total attendance for the two quarter-final matches was over 105,000!  36,000 crammed into Upton Park for the March 8 replay.  

1957-58 – Division II Champions

After an absence of 26 years West Ham finally returned to English football’s top tier. This season’s league programme was probably Andy’s best with the club. Not only was he the club’s only ever-present but he was a constant and consistent driving force throughout the games. And he netted his first goals for the first team….and three of them!  They were worth waiting for.


His first net was on September 14, 1957 away at the Vetch Field, Swansea Town. The game was in the middle of a three match losing streak, after which the team hit championship form to only lose four of the season’s remaining 32 league games.

Hammer of the Year - 1958


The records show that Andy is listed as the first recipient of the club’s Hammer of the Year title. This first title was the nomination by the journalist reporting as The Reaper in the local newspaper, The Stratford Express. While Andy did not receive a trophy at any awards event he is listed as the first winner.  Subsequent year’s winners were voted for by supporters.


1958-59 Club’s Highest Placing in Division I

The first season back in Division I was memorable for the club and supporters. A fantastic start saw the Hammers momentarily topped the football league after winning four of their first six matches.

This exceptional early season form helped propel Andy and John Bond to the attention of the international selectors. Both of the players were selected to play for the Football League XI against their Scottish League counterparts on October 8, 1958.


The Hammers maintained form to eventually finish in 6th place, which equalled the club’s highest ever position from the 1926-27 season.  Though in 1958-59 they finished with 48 points, two more than 32 years earlier.


110 Consecutive League Appearances

The late 1950s saw the pinnacle of Andy’s playing career:  Hammer of the Year, a member of the Division II Championship winning side, and a Football League representative honour. To underline those achievements Andy also clocked an impressive 110 consecutive league appearances for the Hammers. This run commenced on August 24, 1957 in the season’s first game (home to Lincoln City 2-2) and ended on January 16, 1960 (away to Leeds United 0-3).


In the five seasons 1956-57 to 1960-61 inclusive, Andy only missed nine league matches as he played in 201 of the 210 games.

Essex Professional Cup Final Victory

A further honour won was a winner’s medal in 1958-59’s Essex Professional Cup tournament. The final was held over to September 21, 1959 as West Ham beat neighbours Leyton Orient at Upton Park. The goals by Ron Brett, John Dick, Noel Cantwell and an own goal gave the Hammers a 4-1 victory.



Noel Dwyer, Joe Kirkup, Noel Cantwell, Andy Malcolm, Ken Brown, Geoff Hurst, Derek Woodley, Phil Woosnam, Ron Brett, John Dick, Malcolm Musgrove.  

59_09_21 WHU v. Leyton Orient Essex Final

1959-60 – Runners-up medal in

Southern Floodlight Cup Final

Reaper Picks MALCOLM Andy

Andy collected another cup final medal when he played in the 1959-60 season’s Southern Floodlight Cup (SFC) final against Coventry City on April 27, 1960. In front of a 16,921 Highfield Road crowd the Sky Blues emerged as victors by 2-1. John Cartwright netted West Ham’s consolation goal.

Andy played in all five of West Ham’s SFC ties in what was the competition’s last season before it was replaced by the Football League Cup.



Brian Rhodes, John Bond, Noel Cantwell, Andy Malcolm, Ken Brown, Bobby Moore, Mike Grice, John Cartwright, Dave Dunmore, Andy Smillie, Malcolm Musgrove.

60_04_27 Coventry City v. WHU SFC Final

1961-62 - Last West Ham Season & Transfer to Chelsea

Unfortunately all good things have to come to an end. And they did for Andy. The influencing factor was Ron Greenwood who took over as manager from Ted Fenton in April 1961. Greenwood was not such a big fan of Andy’s uncompromising style of play and he initially bought in Geoff Hurst at right half to replace him. Though later another tough tackler, Eddie Bovington, would take over the number four reigns.

Andy Malcolm's last league appearance for West Ham turned out to be the 3-2 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday October 28, 1961.


Despite being only one season away from a testimonial game, he left West Ham in a swap arrangement for Chelsea’s Ron Tindall and £11,000 cash in November 1961. After a year and 27 league appearances (plus one goal) for Chelsea, Andy moved on to Queens Park Rangers.  At Loftus Road he made a further 84 league appearances and netted four goals before retiring from league football in 1964.  

Ireland v England MALCOLM Andy 1960 Leg Injury Caption MALCOLM Andy End of Season Tour 1959 (Holland)

End of Season Tour 1959

Belgium, West Germany and in Holland where Andy is soaking up the sun at the team hotel in preperation for the game against Fortuna

1957-58 Second Division Medal

The second goal was on February 22, 1958 in the 3-2 win at home to Bristol City. And the third net was in the Hammers’ April return to Wales to visit Cardiff City and take three points with a 3-0 victory.

One of four international caps won by Andy

F.A. Youth International

6th May 1950 Ireland v. England in Belfast

AndyMalcolm0012 Andy Malcolm0004 Andy Malcolm0011 Handshake

theyflysohigh would like to pass on our condolences to Nick and Sue Malcolm and to Andy's friends and family at this sad time.

Andy's funeral took place in South Africa January 10, 2014 with Hammers' fan Nigel Bands providing a super spray of flowers in claret and blue.

A first for the organist, the hymn, 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' was played to those in attendance.

Jimmy Greaves (Tottenham Hotspur) in a tussle for the ball with Andy Malcolm (Chelsea)

Chelsea card 01

Andy's Club blazier badge

Newspaper coverage courtesy of Richard Miller

Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer


Crossed Hammer

Newspaper Headline:

In 1966, he went to South Africa where he played for Port Elizabeth and then the Greek Port Elizabeth side Apollen FC, before returning in 1967 to play for Brentwood Town in the Southern League.

After retiring as a player, Andy became a landlord at two public houses in Essex, The Ship and Anchor in Maldon, and The Lion at Latchingdon.

He later emigrated to South Africa in 1986.

Port Elizabeth, South Africa and beyond

Crossed Hammer QPR andy malcolm

Queens Park Rangers

Known to his West Ham team mates as “Smiler” because

he rarely smiles on the field

Andy Malcolm England 1948 BLUE Malcolm Schools England v Ireland 15May1948 Victory Shield May 1948 England Ireland

100 yards flat = 12 seconds

440 yards flat = 65 seconds

Long jump = 15 ft  0ins


Old Trafford, Manchester 15th May 1948 (4 - 0)

Double Winners

West Ham’s second-string started their Football Combination Cup campaign with a 100 per cent home record that included victories in the Semi-Final and Final (both played at Upton Park).

Competition format in those days was based on home and away group matches.

The Hammers faced Charlton Athletic, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Millwall, Portsmouth, Aldershot and Reading.

As group winners West Ham progressed to the Semi-Final stage, where we opposed Leicester City 3-1 in front of 9,400.

An impressive 20,800 attendance witnessed two goals from Harry Hooper and one a piece from Fred Kearns and Ken Tucker to secure a 4-2 victory against Tottenham Hotspur in the 16th November 1953 final.

The team that played in both the semi-final and final were Peter Chiswick, John Bond, Harry Kinsell (Capt), Andy Malcolm, Ken Brown, Doug Bing, Harry Hooper, Albert Foan, Fred Kearns, Gerry Gazzard, Ken Tucker

With no "let up" the youngsters set about the task of completing the "double" by winning the Football Combination Division One title - a feat which had never previously been accomplished by one club in the same season.

FCC Winners

As far as West Ham United was concerned, 1953-54 was largely a time for further encouragement of the younger element, and as a result the average age of the playing-staff at that time was the lowest in the history of the Club. Consequently it was our Reserve Team that stole the majority of the limelight that season.

Andy Malcolm's Football Combination Cup winners medal

Upton Park, London



May 4, 1933






July 1950



283  League

21    FA Cup

2      League Cup

13    Southern Floodlit Cup

2      Essex Professional Cup



4      League




Date of Birth:



Previous Club:



Joined Hammers:



Hammers Appearances:







Hammers Goals:

Tributes John Morley Alan Blackburn