top of page
Logo theyflysohigh.png

1970 - 1979
Trophy Cabinet


Exhibition Match

Santos v. West Ham United

Downing Stadium, Randalls Island, New York

22 September 1970

West Ham United and Santos Futebol Clube (Brazil) were invited to play an exhibition match in a bid to help the development of soccer in the United States. Pele opened the scoring for the Brazilian side on 19 minutes before Clyde Best levelled matters five minutes later before putting West Ham ahead on 26 minutes. The great Pele was not to be denied, however, scoring Santos’ second two minutes later to complete the scoring.

1970 Pele Santos plaque
Santos plate

Grotier (Ferguson), Bonds, Lampard,

Bennett (Eustace),Stephenson, Moore, Best, Brooking, Hurst, Greaves (Redknapp), Howe

Glass Shelftop

Santos Exhibition Match

70_09_22 Santos v. WHU


Geoff Hurst Testimonal

West Ham United v. European XI

Upton Park

23 November 1971


West Ham United


McDowell (Charles)


Bonds (Durrell)

Taylor T.


Redknapp (Ayris)





Scorers: Robson 2, Best Hurst

Geoff Hurst - Player gift
Glass Shelftop
WHU v. European XI Hurst programme

European XI: 
Jackson, Docherty, Gemmell, Schuitz, MacKay, Johnstone, Eusebio, Seeler, Marsh, Simoes, MacDougall

Subs: Greaves, Speigler


Scorers:  Marsh 2, MacDougall, Greaves

Geoff Hurst Testimonial


Washington International Youth Football Festival

One of the more unusual mementoes to arrive in the Upton Park trophy cabinet is this miners safety lamp. On closer inspection the inscription reads “Youth International Tournament 1972 Sunderland AFC”.


On further investigation it was given to the Club for participating in The Washington International Youth Soccer Festival organised by the Washington Development Corporation, the festival final taking place at Roker Park former home of the Weirside club.

Historically part of County Durham, Washington New Town was made up of ancient mining villages scattered over the north-east of England (hence the miners lamp) the area was designated a New Town in 1964, by 1974 the Town would be incorporated into a new County with the creation of Tyne and Wear.

Washington - Miners Safety Lamp 01

Long before the revision of Local Authority boundaries, no-one had contemplated that this new area would include both Sunderland and Washington. Sunderland Football Club with commendable prescience had to built its gymnasium and  established the clubs practice pitches in the New Town which soon became a centre for football in the North of England.


The young Hammers kick-off the tournament on 12 May 1972 with a 0-0 draw against The Black Cats, followed by 5-0 back-to-back victories over Rotterdam AVS (Holland) and Dunkirk (France). Despite not losing a group match the Hammers faced Offenbach Kickers (West Germany) for a 3rd / 4th Play-off place, with the score locked at 0-0 after 90 minutes, West Ham brought the Miners Lamp back to Upton Park winning 5-4 on penalties.

Washington - Miners Safety Lamp 02
Glass Shelftop

Washington International Youth Football Festival


The Sun Newspaper Award

A managerial change in August 1974 led to Ron Greenwood moving upstairs to become the club's general manager with long-standing coach and former player John Lyall as team manager with responsibility for player selection.


The top-level arrangement brought instance rewards as new signings Billy Jennings and Keith Robson secured from Watford and Newcastle United respectively, both scored on their league debuts. November '74 brought a surprise signing when relatively unknown centre-forward Alan Taylor joined from Fourth Division Rochdale.


By the turn of the year the new signings had helped the Hammers into sixth place in the First Division table and the club picked-up 'The Sun Football Award, 1975' for the 'Most Entertaining Team'.

Most Entertaining Team


The Sun Football Award - Most Entertaining Team
Glass Shelftop

The Sun Football Award 1975

European Cup Winners' Cup

First Round ~ 2nd Leg

Lahden Reipas pennant

West Ham United v. Lahden Reipas (Finland)

Upton Park

1 October 1975

At the end of the First Round - 1st Leg the huge electric scoreboard in Helsinki’s Olympic Stadium blazed out an indictment of West Ham’s first uncertain step in this season’s Cup Winners’ Cup. It showed that they trailed twice to the unranked amateurs of Lahden and were saved from what would have been one of the biggest European upsets of all time by a Billy Bonds equaliser 14 minutes from the end to salvage a 2-2 draw.

The 2nd Leg took place at Upton Park two-weeks later, West Ham scored three second-half goals – two in the last minute – to end a European night of missed chances and frustration at Upton Park.


Keith Robson broke the deadlock with a lucky first goal just when it seemed that the amateurs from Finland were going to survive a one-way onslaught. Pat Holland added a scrambled second a minute from time. And with the last kick substitute Billy Jennings scored a spectacular third denying the Finns their moral victory and sent West Ham fumbling into the second round.

75_10_01 WHU v. Reipas Lahden ECWC 1R 2L

West Ham United presented Lahden Reipas with this souvenir pennant as a memento of their visit to the Boleyn Ground.

Glass Shelftop

Image courtesy of

Olli Tynkkynen

Executive Director of

Lahden Reipas

Logo Lahden Reipas vektoroitu

European Cup Winners' Cup Pennant


Estadio El Sardinero

11-12 August 1976

Prince Felipe Tournament.jpg

West Ham started their preparations for the upcoming 1976-77 campaign with a pre-season tour to Scandinavia taking in four matches between 29 July - 5 August, winning three and drawing the other. A week later the 14-man squad returned to Continental Europe to compete in the Prince Felipe Tournament at the Estadio El Sardinero in Santander, Spain.

This "round robin" competition paired the Hammers with Portuguese side Belenenses in the first match. A Billy Jennings goal in the first half was cancelled out in the second period when a free-kick beat Mervyn Day. At that period the Hammers were a man short after captain Billy Bonds was harshly dismissed by the referee following a handling offence.

With the hosts Real Racing Club der Santander beating the Portuguese side 2-1 in their first match. The deciding match against the Spanish side took place on 12 August. Graham Paddon put the Hammers ahead only for the hosts to equalise before the interval. Santander then took a 2-1 lead before Paddon grabbed his second. With just twelve minutes remaining Billy Jennings retired injured.


Our only available substitute was goalkeeper Bobby Ferguson. The outfield ‘keeper proved to be the hero of the hour when he scored in the last minute to win the game 3-2 and the trophy.

Prince Felipe Trophy.jpg
Glass Shelftop

Prince Felipe Tournament


Ciudad de Palma de Mallorca

August 1977

The four-team tournament organised by the home club was spread over three days. The semi-finals paired us with Real Mallorca; the other tie was between Real Betis and J.K.S. (champions of Algeria). Nearly 10,000 watched our first match, and this attendance was doubled for the Final. Our opening game was against the home club, and after leading 1-0 at half-time through Alan Curbishley's goal we went to 4-0 at the finish. A free-kick was knocked down by Frank Lampard for Alan Devonshire to centre; John Radford's volley made it 2-0. Then Bill Green started a move in his own half, and following upfield to hit the ball on the run he gave the 'keeper no chance. Majorca fell victims of an upfield foray when Kevin Lock intercepted a pass to put Alan Taylor away for a solo counter. Unfortunately we sustained two injuries. John McDowell went off with an ankle knock after half-an-hour's play (Paul Brush taking over). Then a thigh knock put Mick Mc-Given out for the remainder of the tour; Kevin Lock went on, and he and Brush played in the Final.

The Final was against the Seville club Real Betis.the game ended in a goalless draw. Both sides netted its first five penalties of the decider, but after Betis had converted the first of the "second series" their 'keeper made a great save, to win the trophy for his side after a fine game. John Radford had a painful ear infection prior to the Final. He decided to play, but had to come off. after an hour; Anton Otulakowski replaced him.

Ciudad de Palma de Mallorca shield
Ciudad de Palma de Mallorca plaque
Palma de Mallorca programme
Glass Shelftop

Ciudad de Palma de Mallorca

bottom of page