theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers Logo theyflysohigh Crossed Hammer outline Semi 03 64_03_14 Manchester United v. WHU FAC Semi-Final back 1964 FA Cup 6th Round training 2 Burnley Report 64_02_15 Swindon Town v. WHU FAC5 Orient Report 3 FA Cup Blue Misc07 Cup Final Tickets

1964 F.A. Cup : 50th Anniversary

May 2nd, 2014 is a memorable day for Hammers’ fans!  

by Roger Hillier

It marks the 50th anniversary of the 1964 F.A. Cup triumph. To commemorate this golden anniversary of the club’s first major win this feature recounts the glorious path to that  Wembley triumph.

For fans who attended the games it was an unforgettable cup campaign which carried the Hammers all the way to Wembley for the second FA Cup final in their history.  To win the cup the Hammers successfully negotiated six rounds playing seven matches. West Ham did not have everything their own way as in three of the seven rounds including the final they had to come from behind to win. The first three rounds were against Division Two sides and fortunately there were no shock results. The sixth round and semi-final round provided stiffer tests which the Hammers passed with flying colours.


Manager Ron Greenwood kept an unchanged side for all seven games with his 11 Englishmen. Strangely, seven had surnames beginning with B.


The 1964 route to Wembley is mapped out below. I hope you enjoy this nostalgic return to a journey undertaken 50 years ago which culminated in Bobby Moore lifting West Ham’s first significant silverware.

West Ham United 3 - 0 Charlton Athletic (HT 2-0)

Upton Park : Third Round

Saturday January 4

West Ham United:

Hurst (10 min), Brabrook (25 mins), Sissons (89 min)


Man of the Match: Bobby Moore

Attendance: 34,155


64_01_04 WHU v. Charlton Athletic FAC3

After two glaring misses by Charlton’s centre forward, West Ham took command of the opening tie against Division Two opposition. The class of Byrne, Sissons and Moore ensured a comfortable victory.


1st goal 10 mins: A bad clearance went straight to Moore, who sent Sissons away on the left and from his cross Hurst hit home a left foot shot.


2nd goal 25 mins: Byrne made a brilliant pass to Brabrook, who hit a left foot shot along the ground under the goalkeeper.


3rd goal 89 mins: Sissons drove the ball home from 25 yards.


M.Gliksten, Charlton’s chairman, said “West Ham were magnificent”.

West Ham United:

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.


Charlton Athletic:  

M. Rose, J. Stocks, B. Kinsey, M. Bailey, F. Haydock, B. Tocknell, M. Kenning, R. Matthews, E. Firmani, D. Edwards, L. Glover.

Charlton Report

The Hammers’ tie against their Division Two neighbours was watched by a record Brisbane Road attendance which still stands today.

The opening paragraph of a Sunday newspaper report summed it up “How West Ham did not win this one-sided cup canter by an avalanche of goals will remain one of the mysteries of the season.  Leyton Orient, with no one in the same class as the Hammers Johnny Byrne, John Sissons and Bobby Moore, enjoyed exactly 15 minutes of short-lived glory.”

Orient, including three ex-Hammers in Eddie Lewis, Dave Dunmore and Mal Musgroce, led with a Deeley header before West Ham took command, although they had to wait a minute before half time for the equaliser.


Goal 44 mins: From Standen the ball flashed from Hurst to Byrne to Sissons.  The left winger swayed past Charlton on the outside in a serpentine dribble before stabbing the ball across goal, where right winger Brabrook side-footed it in from six yards.

64_01_25 Leyton Orient v. WHU FAC4

Leyton Orient 1 - 1 West Ham United (HT 1-1)

Leyton Stadium : Fourth Round

Saturday January 25

Leyton Orient:

Deeley (2 mins)


West Ham United:

Brabrook (44 mins)


Man of the Match:

John Sissons

Attendance: 34,345


Leyton Orient:

M. Pinner, S. Charlton, E. Lewis, M. Lucas, S. Bishop, C. Lea, N. Deeley, D. Dunmore, H. Gregory, G. Bolland, M. Musgrove.


West Ham United:  

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.

Orient Report 1 Orient Report 2

West Ham United 3 - 0 Leyton Orient (HT 3-0)

Upton Park : Fourth Round Replay

Wednesday January 29

West Ham United:

Hurst (6 & 8 mins),

Byrne (15 mins)


Man of the Match: Geoff Hurst

Attendance: 35,383


64_01_29 WHU v. Leyton Orient FAC 4R 64_01_25 Leyton Orient Ticket 64_01_29 WHU v. Leyton Orient FAC4 R

This time it was West Ham’s turn to dominate the first 15 minutes. Two magnificent opportunist goals by Hurst and another by Byrne gave an unassailable 3-0 lead and ensured a safe passage to the 5th round.  

Hurst should have had a hat trick when awarded a penalty in the 51st minute. Pinner parried the spot kick, then got in the way of the rebound before seeing Brabrook head wide of an empty net.

The Hammers had little trouble in holding Orient and in the second half “they turned on a brand of football which should have rocketed the result to 9-0.”

“One player obviously destined for the 1966 England World Cup squad 18 year old John Sissons was a joy to watch……Sissons looked so complete a footballer that it was astonishing when twice he failed to score from close in.”  


West Ham United:  

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.


Leyton Orient:

M. Pinner, S. Charlton, E. Lewis, M. Lucas, S. Bishop, C. Lea, N. Deeley, D. Dunmore, H. Gregory, G. Bolland, M. Musgrove.

1st goal 11 mins: Sissons slipped an accurate pass into the middle where Hurst took the pass in his stride, burst between two defenders, saw his first shot saved and then collected the rebound to net.


Second division Swindon got back into the game with 34th minute equaliser from McPherson despite Standen claiming he had been impeded.


Brabrook was anonymous for the first 70 minutes of this tie but in the space of four minutes emerged as the hero by providing the passes for West Ham’s second and third goals. Described in a match report as the Upton Park enigma his influence in the last 20 minutes changes the Hammers’ fortunes.  


2nd goal 73 mins: Brabrook’s centre was brilliantly returned from the far side of goal into the net by Byrne.


3rd goal 77 mins: Brabrook cut between Trollope and Woodruff and crossed for Hurst to get his second.

Crossed Hammer Crossed Hammer

Swindon Town 1 - 3 West Ham United (HT 1-1)

County Ground : Fifth Round

Saturday February 15

Swindon Town:

McPherson (34 mins)


West Ham United:

Hurst (11 min & 77 mins), Byrne (73 mins)


Man of the Match: Peter Brabrook

Attendance: 28,582


Swindon Town:  

M. Turner, T. Wollen, J. Trollope, K. Morgan, K. McPherson, B. Woodruff, M. Summerbee, W. Atkins, J. Stevens, A. D’Arcy, D. Rogers


West Ham United: 

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.

Swindon Report Crossed Hammer Table Table Campaign 64_02_29 WHU v. Burnley FAC 6

West Ham United 3 - 2 Burnley (HT 0-1)

Upton Park : Sixth Round

Saturday February 29

West Ham United:

Sissons (57 min), Byrne 2 (60 & 68 mins)



Connelly (13 min), Pointer (80 min)


Man of the Match: Johnny Byrne

Attendance: 36,651


This 6th round victory swept the Hammers into their first FA Cup semi-final for 31 years. Accolades poured in for Byrne as he scored a brace to take West Ham into the lead and then extend it. Watched by England manager, Alf Ramsey, Byrne chose the right match to impress.


Burnley led for 44 minutes before West Ham’s second half equaliser.


1st goal 57 mins: The pressure was mounting and the scores were level when Sissons sent over a long cross that Elder tried to clear but kicked into his own goal.


2nd goal 60 mins: One journalist described it “Byrne scored one of the greatest goals I’ve ever seen”.  This “real masterpiece of football” started with a Moore throw in to Byrne… a push to Hurst who quickly switched out to the right wing. Brabrook carried the ball up as Byrne sprinted up the middle and crashed the return pass home on the volley.


3rd goal 68 mins: Burnley disputed Byrne’s second as he had fouled Miller before dribbling around the keeper to net.


Ron Boyce shoots during a rain soaked training session on the forecourt at the Boleyn Ground in preperation for their sixth-round tie against Burnley

WHU v. Burnley 64_02_29 FAC 6

West Ham United:  

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.



A. Blacklaw, J. Angus, A. Elder, B. O’Neil, J. Talbut, B. Miller, W. Morgan, R. Pointer, A. Lochhead,  G. Harris, J. Connelly.

Burnley ticket 02 Man Utd Report Crossed Hammer Man Utd Report 2

Manchester United 1 - 3 West Ham United (HT 0-0)

Hillsborough : Semi-Final

Saturday March 14

“Magnificently marshalled by Bobby Moore in the finest performance of his career, inspired by two uncharacteristic goals in seven minutes of magic by Ron Boyce, West Ham surged through to their first final for 41 years with a superlative show.” This opening paragraph from one of the match reports said it all.


A week earlier a Manchester United side with five reserves had comfortably beaten the Hammers at Upton Park. But that result proved irrelevant as the over confident Mancunians and odds on favourites were well beaten by a West Ham side which took control of the game. West Ham’s plan in the ankle deep mud to shut out Law and Charlton worked.  


Boyce chose this game for his one and only brace of claret and blue goals.


1st goal 56 mins: Boyce banged in the first from 25 yards after Brown had headed down Gaskell’s goal kick.


2nd goal 63 mins: A short corner by Sissons to Burkett who centred to the six yard line for Boyce to head home.


3rd goal 80 mins: West Ham’s third came soon after Law had reduced the lead. Moore at his majestic best beat three men in an upfield surge before laying the pass for Hurst to strike the ball from the edge of the penalty area to the right and wide of the goal keeper.    

64_03_14 WHU v. Manchester United FAC Semi-Final

Manchester United:

Law (78 mins)


West Ham United:

Boyce (56 & 63 mins), Hurst (80 min)


Man of the Match: Bobby Moore

Attendance: 65,000


Manchester United:  

D. Gaskell, S. Brennan, T. Dunne, P. Crerand, B. Foulkes, M. Setters, D. Herd, P. Chisnall, B. Charlton, D. Law, G. Best.


West Ham United: 

J. Standen, J. Bond, J. Burkett, E. Bovington, K. Brown, B. Moore, P. Brabrook, R. Boyce, J. Byrne, G. Hurst, J. Sissons.

Semi-Final Ticket 01 FILMSTRIP

The faces of Setters, Hurst and Gaskell tell the story of the “One that got away”

From goal-maker to goal-taker. Boyce is mobbed after grabbing his second goal

Law and disorder! Bond, Standen and Brown combine to clear from menace-man Law

Semi 04

A different view of the 1964 FA Cup triumph is to compare the ratings each player received for matches in the campaign. For six of the seven FA Cup games national press reports rated each player’s performance out of 10. The only game not allocated ratings was the mid-week 4th round replay against Leyton Orient.  The other six give a very good indicator of the stars of each game and for the whole campaign.


According to the match ratings the top two performers in the 1964 FA Cup campaign are no surprise.  Bobby Moore and Johnny Byrne topped the poll with a total of 50 and 47 scores repectively.  For Bobby this averaged out at 8.3 per game with Johnny not far behind on 7.8. Joint third top performers were the two wingers Johnny Sissons and Peter Brabrook with a total of 42 and a match average of seven.

Click the picture link right

to view the Semi-Final

YouTube link YouTube logo

Newspaper coverage courtesy of Richard Miller

Player Match Ratings

A Grand Day Out



Click the picture link left to see how the day unfolded by following a path of memorabilia.

The journey commences when referee Ken Stokes blew the final whistle at Hillsborough after the 3-1 semi-final victory over Manchester United and finishes with the cup parade in East London on Sunday May 3rd.

FA Cup Final Day – Saturday May 2, 1964

Articles Muddy Marvels Byrne's Real Deal