theyflysohigh : Steve Marsh

Welcome to the Private memorabilia collection of 'theyflysohigh'

Insert body text here ...

Insert body text here ...

Banner Hammers
Logo theyflysohigh

Essex Professional Cup Final (Runners-up)

5 May 1952

1958 Southern Junior Floodlight Cup Final
Martin Peters Enschede
1937 Engine Plaque Template

The Hammers reached the final by beating the current holders Southend United 2-1 in the First round and Chelmssford City 3-0 in the semi-final. Both games taking place at the Boleyn Ground.

Gregory trophy cabinet back
Gregory trophy cabinet
1955 a side Programme
Servette jug
1950-51 Pelly Cup (Alfred Cox) Blue back
1950-51 Pelly Cup (Alfred Cox) Blue front
West Ham Boys 1950-51 Pelly Cup Final

1950 Trophy Cabinet ...

Glass Shelftop

1950-51 Pelly Cup

Alfred D. Cox front row centre with ball at feet

West Ham Juniors

Winners medal

Presented to

Alfred D. Cox

Team group and medal images courtesy

of family member Marco Figueira

Glass Shelftop

Servette (Switzerland)

West Ham United had a proud boast back in 1954 as the English club to have made the most appearances against teams from other countries.


Most of these matches were played over the course of several Continental tours. Servette FC from Geneva is one of the oldest Swiss football clubs, being founded in 1890, this was the first time we had welcomed a Swiss football club to the Boleyn Ground.


On this occasion the Hammers ran out comfortable winners, a John Arnott debut hat-trick and goals from John Dick and Jim Barrett sealed a 5-1 victory.

Chiswick, Wright, Kinsell, Parker, Allison, Bing

Hooper, Barrett, Arnott, Dick, Andrews

54_04_06 WHU v. Servette Friendly
Glass Shelftop

Evening Standard London 5-A-Side Championship

Pelly Cup Final

SERVETTE (Switzerland)

Evening Standard  5-A-Side Championship (Runners-up)

13 April 1955

Information on the 1955 Evening Standard London 5-a-side tournament held at the Harringay Arena is sparse. A Fleet Street strike at the time suspended all newspaper publications; as a result, the news blackout ran from March 14 to April 20 1955 which unfortunately straddled the 13 April 1955 tournament. Following the end of the maintenance workers’ strike on Thursday April 21, a week after the competition, London’s Evening Standard ran a summary of their championships. This summary covered the semi-final and final but did not disclose the results of the earlier rounds.


West Ham would have gained some satisfaction from beating Tottenham Hotspur 4-0 at the semi-final stage after losing to them in the first round the previous year. The Hammers met their match in the final with Fulham running out winners by a three goal margin, inside-right Jimmy Hill scored an early goal, Derek Parker equalised for West Ham. Bobby Robson then scored two goals in quick succession with inside-forward Johnny Haynes wrapping things up for the west London side by adding a fourth to take the trophy home to Craven Cottage.


West Ham United: Ernie Gregory, Derek Parker, Albert Foan, Harry Hooper, Malcolm Musgrove, Reserve: Billy Dare


This runners-up medal was presented to West Ham United goalkeeper Ernie Gregory.

5 a side 3


Boxed medals website
Glass Shelftop

1950-51 Essex Professional Cup

Essex Professional Cup Final

7 May 1951


The Essex Professional Cup competition was instituted in 1949 by the Essex County Football Association, and was open to entry from all professional clubs in the county of Essex. The inaugural final was won by Southend United. West Ham United reached the 1950-51 final by beating Colchester United in the first round, then overcoming Leyton Orient in a semi-final replay 6-1 at Upton Park after the two sides played out a 0-0 draw at Brisbane Road.


Gerry Gazzard Gazzard was a member of the Hammers' side that beat holders Southend United 2-0 with goals from Tommy Moroney and Bill Robindon to win the 1951 Essex Professional Cup. Gazzard was also in the losing final side the following season to Colchester United at Layer Road.

GAZZARD Gerry 02
WHU v. Southend United Essex Pro Cup Final

Medal image courtesy

of Rog and Sarah Gazzard

Medal back trophy cabinet
Medal Front trophy cabinet
1957 Evening Standard
Glass Shelftop

Evening Standard  5-A-Side Championship (Runners-up)

3 April 1957

Two-years after their first appearance in the Harringay Arena final, the Hammers progressed to their second final, and once again they faced their west London rivals Fulham. Though this time the final result was much closer, the Hammers losing 3-2. West Ham's goals scordd by Noel Cantwell and John Smith


In reaching the tournament climax, West Ham first overcame Leyton Orient 2-1 courtesy of two strikes from Noel Cantwell. Ex-Hammer Jimmy Andrews replied for Leyton Orient. In the semi-final West Ham repeated the 2-1 score line in their victory over Crystal Palace. Again Cantwell was on the score sheet.


In the other semi-final Fulham thrashed Chelsea 6-0. The Craven Cottage side fielded a very strong quintet with goals coming from Johnny Haynes 3, Jimmy Hill 2 and a single from Roy Bentley. Future Hammer, Jimmy Greaves failed to find the net for Chelsea.  

West Ham United: Ernie Gregory, John Smith, Noel Cantwell, Malcolm Allison, Billy Dare, Reserve: Malcolm Musgrove


This runners-up medal was presented to West Ham United goalkeeper Ernie Gregory.


Evening Standard London 5-A-Side Championship

Brentford v. West Ham United

Stamford Bridge, London


Taylor, Devlin, Cantwell, Moroney, Allison, O'Farrell, Southren, Barrett, Kearns, Andrews, Tucker


West Ham United Reserves reached the final by defeating Leyton Orient in the First round replay 3-2 after drawing 1-1 at Osborne Road. Tottenham Hotspurs were beaten 2-1 in the Second round followed by a 5-1 thumping of Chelsea at Upton Park in the Semi-Final. The Final against Brentford was played at neutral Stamford Bridge, with goals from Malcolm Allison and Jim Barrett.

London Football Association Challenge Cup Final

8 December 1952

Colchester United v. West Ham United

Layer Road


Gregory, Wright, Kinsell, Parker, Allison, McGowan, Woodgate, Barrett, Moroney, Gazzard, Andrews


West Ham United v. Southend United

Upton Park, London


Taylor, Devlin, Forde, Moroney, Allison, O'Farrell, Hooper, Barrett, Robinson, Gazzard, Woodgate




Can you help?

Glass Shelftop

1951-52 Essex Professional Cup


Can you help?

Glass Shelftop

1952-53 London FA Challenge Cup

Cantwell cap trophy cabinet

Eire International cap

Glass Shelftop

Eire International Cap


Noel Cantwell

11th Cap:

International Friendly

POLAND 2 - 2

Dalymount Park, Dublin

5 October 1958


12th Cap:

European Championship Qualifier


Dalymount Park, Dublin

5 April 1959


13th Cap:

European Championship Qualifier


Tehelne Pole, Bratislava

10 May 1959

Noel Cantwell's Eire International cap represents his three appearances between

5 October 1958 and 10 May 1959

1959 Southern Junior Floodlight Cup

Southern Junior Floodlight Cup Final

14 October 1959

Glass Shelftop
59_10_14 Chelsea v. WHU SJFC 58-59 Final

West Ham United Colts won the Southern Junior Floodlight Cup for the third successive time when they defeated Chelsea Colts at Stamford Bridge in the 1958-59 Final on Wednesday 14 October 1959. The delay in playing off last season's Final had been caused through a congestion of fixtures at the end of the campaign, but only those players eligible last season could play on this occasion.

A single goal decided the issue, Andy Smillie converting a penalty for hands in the 15th minute, but in general the greater experience of the Hammers was the decisive factor, for we had an all-pro side in action against a Blues' team consisting of five pros and six non-pros.

The West Ham United XI consisted of: Reader; Cripps, Burkett; Bovington, Moore, Hurst; Woodley, Cartwright, Beesley, Smillie, Scott.

Winners plaque awarded to Geoff Hurst

Southern Junior Floodlight Cup Final

Locomotive Plaque 61672

March 1960

In 1927 the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) commissioned Sir Nigel Gresley to design a steam locomotive for hauling passenger services on the Great Eastern Main Line. In a ten year period a total 73 of the Class B17 were built.

In July 1937 Locomotive 61672 was built and served the railway lines between London and Cambridge, Ipswich and Norwich for 13 years. By September 1950 most of the surviving member classes were rebuilt with boilers that had increased pressure and were designated class B17/6, 25 such locomotives were also named after football clubs including West Ham United.


By March 1960 none of the class had survived into preservation, a few football clubs were presented with the name plates after the locomotives were scrapped. The locomotive name plate used to reside on the wall outside the old West Stand and was on display up until 2001 when the ground was redeveloped, at which time it was relocated to the Directors boardroom. The iconic plate was subsequently sold at auctionin a bid to raise funds for the youth academy before the club vacated the Boleyn Ground for their new venue the London Stadium.

1937 Train
1937 Engine Plaque wall
Glass Shelftop

Engine Plaque 61672

Enschede, Holland : Youth Tournment

May 1960

Glass Shelftop

Enschede, Holland : Youth Tournament

A white metal trophy, formed as a swivelling medallion, the obverse cast with a football, on black bakelite plinth and inscribed


'From the Directors of West Ham United FC in appreciation of your efforts towards the winning of The Youth Tournament in Enschede, Holland, May 1960, M. Peters'

The tournament was held at the Sportclub Enschede arena between 27 and 29 May 1960.


The Hammers youngsters' were competing in 'Group A' and beat Dutch sides Heracles 2-1, Blauw Wit 4-1 and Williem II 2-1 to reach the final against the 'Group B' winners.


West Ham secured the winners trophy 2-1 against Aarhus Gymnastikforening  from Denmark


Malcolm Pyke

Southern Junior Floodlight Cup Final

22 April 1958


Our Colts brought off a very good win in the Final of the Southern Junior Floodlit Cup at Upton Park, their 5-1 victory enabling them to retain their hold on the trophy.

Bobby Moore opened our scoring, and two tallies by Andy Smillie put us three up at the interval. Arsenal reduced the margin after half-time, but firstly Tony Scott made it 4-1 and then Smillie completed his hat-trick to round off an excellent personal display.

Eddie Bovington was twelfth man on the night.

West Ham United v. Arsenal

Upton Park, London


Earl, Kirkup, Cripps, Moore, Keetch, Hurst,

Woodley, Smillie, Keeble R., Cartwright, Scott



58_04_22 WHU v. Arsenal SJFC Final
Glass Shelftop

Southern Junior Floodlight Cup Final

Chelsea v. West Ham United

Stamford Bridge, London


Pyke frame